Replacement tranny slow

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by creeksidelc, Mar 29, 2006.

1. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

I just replaced the transmission in my Proline with a new 4 spd from J-Thomas, and it is moving a noticable bit slower than the old 4 spd. It is the same exact type of peerless transmission. Willl it wear in and speed up, or is there some sort of adjustment. Any help is appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no adjustment on these transmissions, The only thing I can figure is the old one was wore out and had wider tolerances (less drag) than the new one set at factory specs., When it starts to wear it may get a little faster but not like the old one.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

With the different model #'s on the Peerless trannies, the gear ratios are different, thus a difference in speed in a set gear. You will have to shift-up a gear to make the speed difference. Get a Peerless Manual, and it will show you the gear ratios and their respective speeds. Someone along the line made a change. Either the model numbers are different, or someone changed gear ratios on you. It happened to me once. I just shifted up a gear and went on for a few more years.

4. creeksidelc

thanks for the replies. Is there any way to change the pulley beneath the transmission to gain more speed. If not I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sure you can change the pulley but you have to find one with the same off-set as yours and sometimes that can be fun.

6. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

hmmmmmm, yeah...... fun, lol

7. creeksidelc

Will a larger or smaller pully increase the speed. Thanks

8. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that question.

The transmission pulley needs to be smaller to make the machine move faster.