1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replacing a brake controller

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Woodland, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Right now I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller in my truck. I need to replace it because the plastic case is falling apart, the screws are gone and it keeps falling onto my foot while I'm driving (annoying, ya, just a little).

My question is this... should I simply buy another Voyager and replace it or should I look for something else? According to the info I've found, the Voyager is an inertia controller - better than the time delay types. Tekonsha makes another model, the Prodigy which according to their literature is "one of the most advanced and intelligent approaches to trailer brake controls" (no sales pitch there!). Seriously though, it supposedly does not need any calibration and it is self adjusting. This controller is not much more than the Voyager so if it is so much better, I'm inclined to go with it. Any thoughts?

Also, I looked under the dash where the controller is wired into the truck and there is no adapter, but rather the wires from the controller are spliced into "wires from the truck". The truck (a 1998 Chevy k2500) supposedly has a "factory installed tow package" although I have my doubts. At any rate with the described installation, would installing a new Voyager or Prodigy be an easy task...red to red, white to white, etc. or will I end up needing adapters or other accessories?
  2. Groundwork

Groundwork LawnSite Member

I myself use the Prodigy brake controller, this was my first one and I went to the RV dealer and asked for the best one and that is what they gave me. Seems to do the job for me at least. As for wiring I have a 2000 GMC K2500 (old body style) and I to thought I had the factory tow package, but didn't and had to wire it directly. Relatively simple, wire for the brake switch, ground, power, trailer connection, etc.. I still think it's funny that GM sold/sells 3/4 ton trucks with out the tow package, come on, I didn't buy it for a daily driver.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Don't skrimp on the controller! I was sold the Envoy, which is the lower end of the scale. Sales guy didn't know squat about them but sure acted like he did. He told me that the Envoy is what I needed cause I only had 2 axles and that the voyager and up is for 3 to 4 axle trailers and that they all did the same thing... WRONG! Yes the axle part is correct but they do not all work the same! I assume you have been to Tekonsha's website? It's very informative. There is also lots of places you can find where people have reviewed certian controlers.

The way the Envoy works is basically like a dimmer switch on your dining room lights, turn it up for more brakes, down for less, when u hit the brake pedal the brake light circut turns it on. very simple, yes, but very hard to deal with! When traveling faster you need more power to stop, when going slower, or creeping forward at a light or stop sign if they are set at a good point for speed they will just lock up when going slow.. Sooooo irritating.
    Better models are set up to slowly engage the brakes as you brake the truck, not on and off suddenly. They also have sensors in them that apply MORE brake the harder you brake the truck, so if you are doing like 2 mph they barely come on at all, but if you are having to suddenly slow from 60 mph they will crank the power.

I wish mine was falling aprat like yours, lol, cause I'd replace it! But it functions and it's paid for so i'll live with it untill something happens. Next will be the Prodigy for sure.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Voyager and it works great for me.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

It is all up to you and what you use your truck for. Replacing one will be very simple installation wise, the prodigy is as good as it gets for inertia controllers. Not the best out there period but for the money, prodigy gets my vote. Now if you want top of the line, money is no object then get the BrakeSmart, this one taps into your master cylinder and reads the pressure you are applying to your brakes and applies the trailer brakes accordingly.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My 02 2500HD had the Envoy, very nice.

My newer '05 2500HD has the Prodigy, much nicer.
  7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a brand new Drawtite Activator that came with my truck. I hate it. I wish it would fall apart or I hit it by accident. I need an excuse to buy a new one. Anyone want to buy it?:laugh:
  8. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Well, since you speak so highly of it, send it this way!! I think I'll probably just get another voyager since my local RV place is most likely to have one of them on hand. If not, and I have to go out of town to pick one up...
  9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

What's your address? I'll overnight it to you lol!:laugh:
  10. jray3369

jray3369 LawnSite Member

Prodigy here. I like it saved me a few time. I ordered two off ebay for a heck of alot cheaper the my dealer wanted. I told them my price and they said i was lying to them and said if i can get it for that i should jump on it fast. They were seald and with a warr. Never looked back.