Replacing a Main Line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by regularguy, May 28, 2011.

1. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I have about 800 feet of irrigation main line that I am planning to replace this year with a new larger 4 inch main, but I have some concerns.

First. The pipe that I was planning to use is Schedule 40 PVC and it is rated at 220 psi, I think that is fine as my pressure is nearing 100 psi but will not go above, my concern is this pipe also says DWV on the side and that makes me think sewer pipe. Am I getting the right stuff for this job?

Second. I plan to use Schedule 40 fittings and solvent weld all of the connections, is this a good plan for this size pipe or should I use gasket fittings? I am really trying to keep the costs down, but I don't want to be fixing leaks all of the time either

Now I know that someone will say use schedule 160 pvc or type L copper or something like that but I don't have the budget for that kind of stuff, I need to be somewhat frugal. Just so you know to do the job with 4 inch Type L copper was $60,000

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Google "DWV", I think it is sewer pipe. I can't remember which, but Class 200 pipe is a better choice above either 4" or 6".

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm no irrigation guy at all. I have sch 40 4 inch mains and 2 years ago they were connected to a 40hp turbine....all fine and dandy unless you get pressure spikes.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Judging from the pics that tell me zero, I agree.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

All SCH40 pipe is rated for DWV.

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah that's right, at 6" class 200 is thicker then sched 40

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Tis true. If memory serves me correctly, 6" is either the tipping point between the two, or damn close to it.

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

From this site's charts
    4" sch 40 wall thickness .237
    4" class 200 wall thickness .214

9. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

Okay, thanks everyone for the replys, it sounds like schedule 40 is simply also rated for DWV, so I guess that I should be fine.

What are your thoughts on solvent welding 4 inch pressure pipe? I am planning to sand and bevel before solvent welding. Am I looking for trouble going this route?

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Any particular reason you feel the need to always be a troll here? I'm not asking...you should be.