1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replacing a Main Line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by regularguy, May 28, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Have you considered using non-cemented PVC for the mainline?
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

My question would be , why does the existing pipe need to be replaced ? What are you trying to accomplish ?
  3. Wet_Boots

the OP said the new main will be larger than the old one - reminds me of a time when I installed a secondary 3/4-inch copper mainline in a basement, next to the original one, to vastly improve the system performance.
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you pull it..

Trenching pipe is so messy and time consuming..
  5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Pulling 4" pipe?

What $80,000 tractor machine that pulls do you have that I want?
  6. Wet_Boots

not only does it pull 4-inch - it even pulls 4-inch gasketed bell-end pipe :)
  7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

You can pull 4" HD poly it comes in rolls then you need to fuse the couplings.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I'd at least go with gasketed pipe, even if you use solvent weld fittings.
    Also make sure and thrust block the fittings properly.
  9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd hate to be the guy that has to hold n spin that roll of poly. :rolleyes:
  10. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

The original main line wasn't thought out too well, it is a 2 inch irrigation poly line that is rated for 100 psi and I have pressures that are right there all the time. The current line handles 30 gpm but I would like to add another pump and boost the gpm to 60 and that is more than the current line could handle and would push me past or right to 5 fps. I am also planning for the future in that I may someday install a third pump so that is whay I want to use 4 inch just in case I ever want to go to 90 gpm.

Are schedule 40 gasketed pvc fittings super expensive? I would think that they would be and that may prevent me from going that route and force me to solvent weld. Thanks for the suggestions