Replacing A Metro Transmission

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Bodmer71, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Bodmer71

Bodmer71 LawnSite Member

I purchased a used metro a couple of months ago with a bad transmission. I am planning on buying a new one and replacing it myself. I really dont have any experience working with lawnmower transmissions but I am mechanically inclined and should be able to work my way through it. I was just wondering if anyone out there could let me know if there is any litterature out there that could give me some instruction on how exactly to replace the transmission? If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bodmer71,

Replacing a transmission on a Metro is no big deal and most mechanically inclined people should be able to make this repair with a basic set of hand tools. We don't offer a "repair" manual like you would find for an automobile but the parts manual will be a useful tool when you begin the process.

With the part manual you can see all the components and understand what will need to be remove and how to go about doing so. If you did not receive a parts manual with the mower call me at 800-667-5296 or e-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com with your mailing address and serial number and I can have one sent out to you. Some of the manuals are also available online for download in the tech support section of our website or you can view any Metro parts manual in the “parts lookup” section of the website as well.

To change the transmission you’ll want to remove the belt and drive pulley from the bottom of the transmission. The remove the electrical wires for the transmission switch (top side), followed by the shifter. Next you’ll want to slide the transmission couplers and stub axles out so the couples can be removed. First I would lock the drive levers in the neutral lock position. This will help remove much of the load on the shafts created by the belt drive idler. To slide the stub axles out you’ll need to remove the “ring” retainer/clip from the stub axle near the bearing. You don’t really need to remove but you will need to work it out of the retaining groove and slide it inboard on the shaft so the shaft can be slid out. Once you’ve don’t this you can remove the couplers.

With the couplers remove you can then remove the 4 transmission bolts. Then re-install in the reverse order.

Changing a transmission is not a really technical repair. The pulley removal and the retaining ring can give you some trouble but be patient and you should do just fine. Probably the most important thing to remember is to not over tighten the transmission belt. This belt only requires about 3 lbs. of tension with ½” of deflection or if you pull on the belt it should only require about 3 lbs. to pull the belt ½”.

If this sounds too complicated use the dealer locator to find your local Exmark dealer. Most Exmark dealers could make this repair rather quickly depending upon how busy the shop is. This transmission has been offered for many years by many different manufacturers. You’ll want to make sure that the transmission outputs have the correct number of splines. Nearly all Metros should have 9-spling output shafts.

If you have any questions give me a call.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Bodmer71

Bodmer71 LawnSite Member

Thank you, you guys are extremely helpful.