replacing a velke tire yourself?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

The tire on my velke is shot. its a 4.10-4. Are these hard to replace and is there any trick to it? I see I can order a tire cheaper online than if I go into the dealer and have him do it, and, well, the grass isn't growing yet. :confused:

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I think the hardest part will be getting the new tire to bead up.

I've done a few pneumatic hand-cart tires and they can be a pain. Actually I've never actually changed one, but have had them come off the bead due to losing all their air. I'd assume you'd need a couple prybars to get the old tire off and the new one on.

I've had some luck wrapping a strap or rope around the outside circumference of the tire, then tightening it down. This sort of pulls the bead of the tire towards the rim. Then hook your air chuck up to the valve and wiggle the tire around on the rim and you should be able to get it to bead up.

Could you get the tire online and just have the dealer mount it for you?

3. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I just don't want him to say anything because I didn't get the tire from him. Kinda wanted to save the trip too. I'm sure I can get the tire to fill with air, its just a matter of getting it over the rim. I had to do what you said to get the one on there to fill up. I actually used a tiedown and tightened it around the tire. It filled but lost the air about 15 minutes later. The sidewall is ripped and I think thats where its leaking.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The easiest way to change a small diameter rimmed tire is with a mini-tire changer. Failing that you will need to find a Big Bolt that just fits in the axle area of the rim yet can be bolted to a work bench or clamped in a vise.
    Then you can proceed with unseating the old tire.
    Make sure you have a spray bottle of 10% detergent and the rest water - liberally apply to the bead area prior to re-seating the tire.
    With-out the correct tire irons, use a long shanked wide tip flat blade screw driver to first remount the new tire. Once the first side wall is completely over the rim, you can re seat the second side by using the exposed shank of the bolt as a pivot and lever the tire iron or screw driver around the shank.
    Proceed slowly as it is exceedingly easy to rip the side wall by forcing the new tire on the rim.
    Once the tire is mounted on the rim, the easiest way to fill up the tire is to push in on the tread areas on at least two sides with your fingers while injecting air through the new valve stem.
    If the soapy water solution has run off prior to re inflating the tire than reapply as the mere act of inflating the tire to seat on the rim can also rip the side wall.
    Big Hint: This whole process isn't as difficult as it sounds as long as you are ingesting massed quantities of your favorite malted beverage:drinkup:

5. bj1bmx

bj1bmx LawnSite Member
    from NJ

easy, just unbolt it from the velke, let the air out, pry it off with a screw driver or some of them have bolts where the rim will come apart as 1/2s. then repair/replace

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a one-wheeled Velke, the rim is in two halves (if it is like mine -- about eight years old). I recall there are four bolts holding the halves together. This means there is no getting the tire over the bead - lay one half down, get the tube inserted properly, lay the other half over, bolt up.

As somebody mentioned, the key is to get the bead to seat. Wraping a strap around the tire is often a big help.

7. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Exactly, if it is the one where the rim splits in half, consider going with a solid tire which can be found here:
    http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2294

*** Save 5% by using "LAWNSITE" as a coupon code when ordering ***

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to replace it is with a filled tire-then you only have to do it once!

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Beware that foam filled tires can ride a little rougher than air filled. You only have problems getting a bead to seat when you're dealing with tubeless tires. The Velke wheel uses a tube.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.

10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Good one.

On the jungle wheels it's also a tube. Order tube, unbolt 4 bolts, replace tube, rebolt, inflate, done.

I got lazy and just ordered 2 whole wheel assemblies this year since I need tires anyway.