Replacing Bermuda with St. Augustine Where to start?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TXTom, May 15, 2006.

1. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

This is for an existing well established yard with sprinkler system. The customer would like St. Augustine sod installed in an area that is covered with Bermuda. I need to kill the Bermuda and possibly till or aerate the soil. We did some samples and the soil is perfect for Augustine, and not so great for Bermuda. Any suggestions for killing/removing the old grass would be appreciated. I don't want to get a 55 gal drum of Roundup. The area is around 10,000 ft. How long should we wait before installing the new grass? Should we pretreat the soil with any fertilizer or amendments before installing the new sod?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Is the actual area for in the install 10K sq. ft?

are you thinking of total replacement or planting some St. Augie for an eventual take over?

3. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

Yes 10k of footage. We will be installing 10k of new st Aug sod. Need to remove the Bermuda before. Is there a decent skid attachment for this? The soil has lots of rocks. If we start doing too much we will be hauling trucks of rocks away. I really just want to kill the Bermuda and loosen the soil so the St Aug can get started.

Thanks,
    Tom

4. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

I would get a good grow on the Bermuda,,,spray it...come back and try and get a good grow on whats left and spray again...not much you can do about rocks cept guide the depth of the Bermuda you are extracting....lay down some soil mix and fertilizer and put the St. Augie down...hardy grass, damn near bullet proof..curious what you would charge for a demo and install on 10K sq. ft.