1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replacing blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jman00, Jul 22, 2003.

1. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

When do you replace your blades. I have some gator blades that are about to have the end foil wear off and i was wandering if they are still good to use. They create a vaccume and cut good and discharge good still. I guess i could keep using them until they are to thin to keep sharpening. What do you guys think. I need some input.
  2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I'd replace them only after they stop cutting well. I don't have any blades that I have been able to get to that point as I am a blade -----:) One mower and 8 sets of blades.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I wouldn't use them at all any more if anything wears off
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

When the tips round off, I give them the heave. Rounded-off tips can leave a strand of cut grass behind you when mowing instead of being discharged out and away from the deck.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm WAY too picky with my blades to let them go that far. Your cut is diminished it just took long enough that you didn't notice. Put a fresh set of factory high lifts on and watch your cut improve DRAMATICALLY.

Your lift will diminish.

Your effective blade length will diminish.

Your approach angle (90 degrees) will slowly round and not be as effective.

Blades are cheap. Time spent on the lawn is expensive!
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point.

A set of blades runs you only about 50 bucks or so depending on what you're putting on. Junk the old ones and invest in new ones.
  7. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I have a 52" hustler super mini. I have about 4 sets of blades i rotate. I was just wandering when to replace a set with new ones. I know they are not expensive but why replace something that still performs. I do not get stringers and they seem to cut the same as the newer sets. Thanks for the input guys.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mine usually get ruined by a big stone or stick WAY before they wear out. But in sandy conditions that you may have, things may be different. Around here, I swear, if I could have EVERY stick picked up, and every rock and stone gone, blades would last FOREVER!!!
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The 'technical' answer I see most is, measuring from front of blade (cutting edge) to back side of blade (in a straight line, don't measure curve), when 1/3 of metal is gone.
    That's assuming there is no other reason like chunks gone from hitting harder than grass object, cracking, way out of balance, bent, etc.
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

True dat! When they start to round off, they are cycled out.