replacing clutch, how to?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, May 25, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to replace the cluthc on my 36" scag but the axel is kind of in the way =( how do i get the dang clutch off?!? the center bolt is out, just the clutch hits the axel and won't come out....hope i don't have to pull the motor for this one...

2. Orkin Yards

i know someone knows how to replace an electric clutch on a w/b....come on!!! =( kinda stuck here....

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

i went and looked at my 36" scag and it looks like it should just fall right out with a little shaking and wiggling, but i have not replaced mine yet. I will let you know if i figure out anything else.

Kevin
    Williams Lawn Mgmt

4. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

on the small frame scags which are the 36 and the 48 you must lift the engine up to remove the clutch. sorry

5. Orkin Yards

next question, the clutch i took off seems to hvae a built in woodrif key....the new clutch isn't the exact same design, and i'll have to go buy a woodrif key, diff brand clutches also....the design is close but not exactly the same, it was ordered from jthomas so do you think i should slap it on there and see what happens or what?

6. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

the replacement clutch is like the new scag one. if you buy it from scag it comes with a new key. the clutch you are replacing failed because of the cheaper bearings.

jerald