Replacing clutch in 61" Scag Wildcat

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MCYoder, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

Just thought before I went out to change out the old clutch and put in the new one, I would ask if there were any tricks of the trade or if its just a simple procedure? I know its a stupid question, just don't feel like working on it all night long... any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Mower is a 61" scag wildcat with the 26 liquid cooled kawi

2. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

Also didn't know if it is easy or a pain to do??? i've never replaced one before...

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you do a search for clutch removal you will find several references. Here's one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=319791&highlight=removing+clutch

Release deck belt and idler belt, unplug the wiring harness, remove clutch retainer then loosen the bolt retaining the clutch to determine whether the clutch is loose enough to fall off the crankshaft. If the clutch slips down any you can go ahead and remove the bolt.

If you have problems removing the clutch, check the results of the above search.

4. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply, we'll see how it goes

5. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

After replacing the old clutch with the new I got from j-thomas... nothing happens when the switch is pulled... Could the switch need to be replaced or is the replacement clutch the wrong model??? It should work... feel like i'm going crazy! Scag part #461660, I got the right clutch according to the catalog...

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Before you replaced the clutch, did you bother to check for proper voltage at the wiring harness to the clutch? Pull the clutch connector from the wiring harness, start up the unit, engage the clutch switch and check for proper voltage at the wiring harness. You should have around 14.5 VDC.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not forgetting to check fuse if no DC.

8. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

No, didn't check voltage before replacing it... fuse is ok.

9. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

I will check voltage next chance I get though

10. MCYoder

MCYoder LawnSite Member

no power going to the harness, fuse is good, so is it the switch???