Replacing Clutch Made Easy-Snapper WB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is a sw20 snapper pro wb and it has those integrated hydro so the bottom is full After trying to slide the clutch up there I decided to just take the deck off. Six bolts and it drops off. Then rock it back.

046.jpg

And the deck was very easy to get back attached. ups forgot to take a
    picture of the clutch it is in another thread. I know you strong guys won't bother but......I would have needed a jack.

046.jpg

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

By the way is any body else having trouble with cluthes in this machine? It is a warner 5219-121 with two pulley positions. The new one just went out.....april to sept and no warranty.

3. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Ed,
    Thats one way to do it!
    What is going out in the clutches? The bearings? Or just not engaging anymore?
    I don't work on Snapper so can't tell you if there is any problems with them. But a clutch is a clutch.

Jeff

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On first one the pulley tore loose, on this latest onethe friction plate with the springs tore loose. I examined the blades and sure don, t look like they hit something big. Kinda hard to put another one in. I will post pictures when I get it ti my place. Can't release the hydro on these units so bad time moving them.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This was the first one that failed....pulley tore off.

20130929_164657.jpg

6. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Ed,
    Where does the pulley attach to the hub? Closest to the spring fingers? Is the pulley welded to the hub?
    Just a thought, have you tried to talk to Warner Electric? It's worth a shot?

7. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah I'm having trouble with mine. When I bought it used, it had a bad clutch so I put a new one on (tore it up due to over torqued it, my fault) bought another one, went to install it and won't engage. Don't know what's going on with it.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got any idea where to start on contacting them?

This is latest fail 4 months and no dings on the blades. Looks like rivets gave out.

20131001_145215.jpg

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it possible someone is engaging the blades at WOT? That'll do it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That just might be possible, but if a clutch fails under those conditions there would failures all over the place.