replacing clutch spring?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2chickslandscaping, May 24, 2004.

1. 2chickslandscaping

2chickslandscaping LawnSite Member

i'd really like to do this repair myself since it's such a stupid little inexpensive part.

today i bought a handy tiller attachment for a homelite versatool, and about 10 minutes into use the blades stopped spinning. i put the string trimmer attachment back on and it's also getting very little power to spin.

when i take all of the attachments off and just run empty, the drive seems to be functioning properly.

up until the tiller stopped i had been running fine with no problems.

i believe it to be the clutch spring from everything i'm reading online.

any tips to properly diagnose and correct?

thanks.

2. 2chickslandscaping

2chickslandscaping LawnSite Member

anyone know? just took it to a rude service guy so now i'm back at square one. (ie, i didn't leave it there)

3. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

dont know anything about it but I thought the clutch springs pulled the clutch together so it would not engage at idle or starting. so if a spring broke it would turn all the time. the clutch may be went bad and is slipping they work by centrifical force so if you only run at say half throttle the clutch wont hold and will slip and over heat or maybe the tiller was just to much pull on the clutch

4. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

Check the end of the drive cable on the powerheadside. Check it closely, there should be a square hole in the middle of it. If the hole gets rounded out slightly it may not let the attachment work properly.