1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replacing dead blower.....BP or Handheld?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midwest Mower, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Midwest Mower

Midwest Mower LawnSite Member

I'm replacing an old McCulloh handheld that died. I have an 8hp Walkbehind but can't decide between handheld or backpack. I'm looking at the Redmax blowers.

Most yards are smaller residential but a few are large commercial. Please advise.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

backpack all the way! unless you're only doing it part time i don't see how you can be without a BP. i remember the first day (after waaaaay too many with teh handheld) i got my echo PB 750T; talk about a night and day difference in efficiency.
  3. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

Whether full time or not, I'd go with a backpack. Way more power and less arm fatigue. I'm part time, but got tired of messing with a handheld. I went ahead and broke down to buy a Shindaiwa EB630. I have not regretted it since.
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Getteth thy self either an Echo pb 650/750, or a Redmax 7001/8000 and be done....
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second that!!!!! I know I had a huge jump in productivity when I switched to a Redmax EB7000.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Midwest, just don't make the mistake that I'm "Stihl" stuck with.. My br420c, that is unless you like equipment that's a pain to start and is under powered compared to either the Echo, or Max'... God bless, and I hope you get what YOU need...
  7. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

Backpack all the way much easier on the arms and better performance
  8. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

Back Pack. I made the Hand held mistake once. After I bought my Red Max. I gave the the hand held away and bought another backpack.
  9. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

Hand held. What's a hand held?

Branching Out
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with branching out.

why bother.

txlawnkning doesn't like his stihl. I like mine fine. But the point is almost any BP will be a much better blower than any handheld.

Productivity is worth the extra price. And they last so much longer. And you aren't refilling the gas tank every 5 minutes.