replacing eng on skid with HF eng.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vaacutabove, Aug 15, 2012.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be buying a new skid and skid next year or a ride on. But I need mine to get me through this year most of all Friday spraying. Harbor freight has one its like 100$. any thoughts on this. I know it won't last long term But I need about 100 hrs out of it this year and would be nice if it made it as a back up next year. So I'm not in the same situation with no back up yard needing to be sprayed with seeding coming up next few weeks.

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I think you asking for a lot more dependability out of a hf engine than you are going to get.

3. vaacutabove

Probably but season is almost over. I only spray 40. Per round and my last round is granular.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a Honda clone? They are pretty decent and should last a few years. Are they better than a Honda, No, will it work and get the job done...yes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not familiar with HF. However...most engines used for powering a spray pump need a 6 to 1 speed reducer--it is usually built-in on the proper version of the engine for that use. Those engines cost a bit more. Typical speed is 3600 rpm--you need about 600 rpm to drive your pump. The Hypro diapragm pump has an additional speed reducer built into the pump.

The Briggs Stratton 6 horse engine is only about 208 dollars. With a little luck you should be able to get about a thousand hours out of it.

6. vaacutabove

It looks exactly like the honda im pulling off. But we will see i got everything off tonight but cant find my snap ring pliers. So will have to work on it tomorrow night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. robert@rittenhouse

robert@rittenhouse LawnSite Member

Riggle, you are correct about getting the speed down for Hypro diaphragm pumps. However, if you are using a D30 or D403 you do not need an "additional" gearbox. If you have the GRGI version of those pumps, you attach that directly to a full speed engine because they come equipped with gear reduction. Hence the "GR" in the name.

I think you know that, it is just that your post was slightly misleading. I don't want the other poster to get the wrong engine based on your post.

Regards,

Robert

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Robert

My buddy recently replaced his D 30 pump but not the Gear reduction. it just bolted right up.

My D 30 is close to 15 years old and has been rebuild many times. But my guess is I have older model because of the common drive shaft to both the gear reduction and pump.

So the my question is, Can I just replace a pump with out the gear reduction???

BTW last time I did a total rebuild on that pump, parts ended up costing more than a new pump. But once I got so far into it, I was hooked and couldn't stop.

9. robert@rittenhouse

robert@rittenhouse LawnSite Member

Yes, you can reuse the gearbox on a D30 and a D403 as well. In most cases the gearbox is fine and you only need to buy the plain D30 pump. The part number would be 9910-D30.

You split the gearbox and remove the big gear that is bolted to the flange on the pump. If you are handy with a wrench it is not a hard job at all.

There are a couple of Hypro pumps where that is not the case. Specifically the D252GRGI and the D70GR.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Thank You,

That is good to know. My D 30 sat in the barn for several years. When I put it back in service as stated above the parts ended up costing more than a new pump. I have been running that pump for a couple years now and all is good. With a 5 GPM tip I run the engine just slightly above an Idle and it keeps up with me.