replacing engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gt_racer50, Mar 28, 2005.

1. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anyone ever replaced an engine on a ztr with a different size shaft than the old engine. How hard is it to get the right size pulley's and clutch?

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: nope, i always replace as close to the orig. as possible, much easier and basically bolts together in an hour or so. pulleys and a new clutch can be another $3-400. tony.

3. gt_racer50

from Ohio

Thanks Tony, I'm sure that is the way to go, however this engine is approximately $800 less than an exact swap. It's a 25hp Kohler, just the shaft is 1 1/4 instead of 1 1/8, it may also be 1/2" longer also. I'm just wondering if it's possible to find the pulleys and clutch in the larger size.

4. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

i did it was not too bad. i bought the new clutch for $170.00 and the pulley was about $10.00 and my shaft was a half inch longer too. i just used a half inch spacer to compensate for the difference. but the wiring plug on my new engine was different then the old engine. so i just took it to my local shop and had them rewire it which cost like $75.00.

5. gt_racer50

from Ohio

Thanks I Mow Alone for the help. I pm'd you with a couple of other questions, I hope you don't mind.

6. gt_racer50

from Ohio

Here's the next question, Is a 25 hp kohler that is not a v twin a bad engine? Is the v twin worth an additional $800 or $900? It's a twin cyl it just doesn't say v twin in the specs.