Replacing equipment...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, May 7, 2008.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

What is your thought on replacing hand held equipment? Do you let it get a certain number of hours/yrs of use and then replace it regardless of its condition?

My Shindaiwa stuff is getting old...but it just keeps running. The occasional cleaning of the muffler, or other little repair...but they still start easily and run reliably. I find it hard to justify buying new stuff when the old stuff is getting it done.

Whats your thoughts?

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i usually run mine until they die.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

My Shindawia stuff is also getting old but still runs as new. I bought a TroyBuild with interchangable heads that I use for back ups. When my Shindawia stuff becomes unrealible then I replace it.

4. Country

Country LawnSite Member

Why spend the money unless you need too??? When it becomes unrealible then I replace it.

5. Greenleaf Lawns

Greenleaf Lawns LawnSite Member

My old stuff becomes my back ups.

Heck I've still got equipment that I bought in 1991 that we use.

The ECHO blower I purchased in 1992 is used at almost every property.

6. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

we run ours until they die, usually a year and half for trimmers & edgers & 2 years for backpacks

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Wow Evergreen...you must put some serious hours on your stuff. My Shindaiwas have lasted six yrs and still going strong.

8. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

same here, run them till they blow up.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Our main line string trimmers are shot by end of second season, secondary units like blade edgers will last about 5 years . Backpack blowers last around 5 or 6 seasons. Hand blowers last 2 years or maybe 3 . It all depends on the quality of the unit and more important how many hours of use it gets. It definetly pays to buy the pro duty tools from which ever manufacturer you use.

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

x2 Let it blow up