1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Exhaust manifold on Ford with 5.4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by flairland, Apr 1, 2009.

1. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, need your help quick! I have an 04 Ford F350 5.4l, and I need to replace the right side exhaust manifold. Am I ok to replace with a NAPA (ie. Partsource/Car parts only type place) or should I stick with a 'Ford' manifold?? Or should I look into headers while doign this anyway?? Tips please!
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

3. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

How much would I actually gain by getting them? I've heard both + and - reviews about them. Any brand recommendations??
  4. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

i'd do headers if your having to take of the manifold to place it, put on something thats gonna be a benefit.
  5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

double post
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

get stainless studs for this.

On the affected bank only, replace the exhaust manifold, manifold gasket(s), and install all new stainless steel exhaust manifold studs and nuts. Torque the studs in the cylinder head to 71-115 lb-in (8-13 N-m). Torque nuts on studs to 204-239 lb-in (23-27 N-m). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 313-01A for exhaust manifold removal and installation.

Go to Ford dealer give them part numbers for stud
    W703902-S403 Stainless Steel Stud
    W701706-S2 Stainless Steel Nut
  7. Brothers_Landscaping

Brothers_Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'd go with performance manifolds, headers leak after a while, so you have to tighten them every 4-6 months, which is a pain. And performance manifolds are just as good.

Thats my opinion
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you only need the one side...
    NAPA supplies good parts.

For modification into headers or performance manifolds I would think you'd really want to do both sides,
    thou I will add that a buddy of mine who swore by changing to headers, his trucks just about all leaked...
    And I thought it was just him doing a crappy job :p
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

go stock, id go napa if alot cheaper. headers rot out quick, and you'll be doing it all over again. typical ford gas engine. and im a ford guy