Replacing Fescue with Bermuda

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KSD, Sep 8, 2005.

1. KSD

KSD LawnSite Member

We have had fescue for 2 years (was a new house) and it is not doing so well. The front yard is basically full sun and the back gets plenty as well. There are only a few spots in the yard where it looks good. We are located in northern Alabama and the soil here is hard clay! We also have an irrigation system to keep the grass from drying out in the summer. We are tired of the yard looking so bad and all the money we have to pore into it while in it only looks good through the early spring. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! We want to replace the fescue with bermuda.

We don't know how to do this - we have killed all the crabgrass and weeds and are left with hardly any grass. If anyone has any ideas or has done this before, your thoughts/experiences are appreciated GREATLY! We do have some bermuda already trying to spread throughout the yard in areas - there are runners.

Thanks
    KSD

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Gotta run for now,but I'm close to you and can give you an estimate if you're interested.

3. KSD

KSD LawnSite Member

who do you work for and what exactly would you give me an estimate for?

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I work for me :D
    I'll be glad to give you an estimate on sod installation.It's too late to seed bermuda.PM me and I'll give you my number and company.

5. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I am no expert but this time of year I would sod with lots of water or wait till spring then you can seed or sod and the Bermuda will grow like crazy.
    I'm sure some of the experts can give you more detail.

6. VWBOBD

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

This Is An Easy Task, Kill Everything, Till It After Everything Is Completly Dead, Level It , Then Place Down Sod, Water Heavily For Several Days Till You Cannot Pull Up Sod Easily( When Roots Are Setting In), It Will Go Dormant In About Nov .
    In Mid January When It Is Completly Brown Use A Herbicide To Eliminate Any Emerging Weeds. Then Get Ready To Mow Like A Mad Man When Summer Time Gets Here. I Mow Every 2 Or 3 Days In The Summer To Maintain 1.5 " Height. Oh And Get A Good Reel Mower Too.

Oh Yeah, Make Sure You Have Soil Test Done And Amend As Needed Before Laying Sod