Replacing landscape

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Viseras lawn service, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Hey guys....i have taken all the shrubs out that you see in the pic...they were just way too big....

now the problem is what should i replace it with? i want to stay away from rotos and the ground growing pine shrub types.... any ideas?

The Albertas will be replaces with smaller ones.
  2. Viseras lawn service

from 6

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking for a free landscape design?
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Idea #1...visit your local nursery and ask them for some suggestions

Idea #2...get a landscape architect to get you a set of plans you can work from

Idea #3...replace everything in the landscape bed with an identical, less mature, plant.

Idea #4...Find out what the focal point of the landscape should be (speak w/ your customer), work some foundation plants around it that will complement it, then add some mass plantings, some perennials for spring/summer color, grasses for some winter interest...then add in some annuals for some impact color.
  5. Viseras lawn service

from 6

Thx Kb...

and i just wanted a few suggestions, not free landscape design....i thought this site was for people to help each other out....but it seems i come across more people looking for trouble these days. :realmad:
  6. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what kind of conditions you have ( light levels, soil, moisture etc.) so it's hard to pick appropriate plants, but here's a few I like. Weigela shrubs I like red. Holly, you will need male and female to get the red berries. Perennial flowers: purple columbine, artemisia silver mound, day lillies asian lillies, clematis-ernest markham, hosta (the big blue ones), lilly of the valley, cranesbill and stonecrop. And of course some spring bulbs somewhere. I love daffodils.
  7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Provide a little more information

Post a Picture of the site as it is now , a front veiw that shows the windows and doors.

Describe the conditions Is it a sunny border or is it shady,etc...

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscape design isn't just about looking at a picture and saying put a shrub there. Design is listening to your clients, asking questions, looking at the surrounding area, and adapting the site to be landscaped to all these variables.

*what are your clients trying to acheive (or is this your house)?
    *what does the rest of the yard look like?
    *Are they active in their landscaping or hands off?
    *What are the general conditions of the surrounding area?

Personally, I would never put an alberta Spruce near the front of a house, those things should be out back...