Replacing old Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JohnM, May 23, 2004.

1. JohnM

JohnM LawnSite Member

First, Please excuse my ignorance. I am buying my first house and I know nothing about landscaping but I can't wait to get started. What is the best way to start a new lawn over and old lawn that is ugly and has lots of weeds. It looks like there is a couple of different types of grass mixed in. I know the best way is probably to buy new sod but I just cannot afford that. Can I put down seeds over the old grass and expect it to take over?
  2. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

How big is the lawn?
  3. JohnM

JohnM LawnSite Member

800 square feet. Ive had it suggested to me that I mow it as low as possible and throw on new seed. That seems too easy.
  4. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

There are several different ways you could attack this. Since your area is small, and you say it is ugly and full of weeds, I have to assume the worst I would suggest the following:

-Kill the entire yard with round-up in mid-August ($30)
    -Go to the store and buy a cheap test kit that tests for ph and nitrogen levels ($15)
    -Determine whether you need to add anything to get those levels correct. (0-$30)
    -Slighty till the ground, then rake level ($30 rental)

(call and get a quote on sod prices, it shouldn't be that expensive for that small of an area)

-If you don't sod, buy a good grass seed and spread it according to the directions during the last week of August or first week of September(check with your county extension for more precise dates in your area ). ($30)
    -Lightly cover the seed with about an 1/8th of dirt and water
    -water enough to keep the soil moist
    -mow when grass gets about 3 1/2"
    -keep you mowing height at 3-3.5" to keep a healthy lawn.

I know this sounds like overkill, but if you do it correct now you will have minimal problems down the road.