Replacing oneself on the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, May 5, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Being a young guy, 21, I was thinking that within the next few years I would like to fully replace myself from being on the job everyday. My job would consist of estimates, bank dealings, keeping the books etc.
    However the last few days I have been really sick, I think I have sun stroke. Feeling nauseous, having trouble replacing fluids and eating (drinking and eating okay today). Nonetheless I NOW realize I need to start finding a way to replace myself instead of doing it in the future, that way if I ever get really sick, the business will keep on running. Anyone else have similar thoughts?
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Careful....Now you're starting to think like a businessman.
  3. double e

double e LawnSite Member

This year I started running a grass cutting crew.
    They cut 90-100 acounts and I do about 20. The other 5 days I do landscaping and maitenance. I also give bids.- I still find myself giving bids in the evenings.

I thought I would have more time for the running around, since I have another crew. But I doubled my work- leaving me working my butt off
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

This is hopefully the last year for me to be actually doing the work, im sure things will work better that way as long as i can continue to get good help.
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm anxious to replace myself in the field as well. My main problem right now is having the volume of work needed to do that. Finishing the 1st full year in business in July. After that, I'll have to have some dependable folks out there, which will be fun. I seem to remember a guy posting stuff like, I should never hire the first person I interview, always interview at least 3 or 4 and there are ALWAYS more out there. Hmm ... who could that be?

[Edited by CSRA Landscaping on 05-05-2001 at 10:59 PM]
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Not saying this will happen to you but.. This company I know that went under after the owner did what you wanted to do. I got one of his jobs and the owner of the home told me his employees would spend half the day in here swimming pool LOL. She had told them they could and said I could. But has a responsible biz owner I declined. No telling what they did the rest of the day and weeks. I guess if you found a good superviser and paid him well. Very tempting for crews to take cash for jobs and you would never know..
    This guy came to work on my AC and told me he could do it cheaper on the side. Easy way fro employees to steal from you that way.
  7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Which is why I said that, Charles.