replacing PG Magnum trans

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Mar 12, 2008.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

How long and is it difficult to do this? i just put a new motor in it last fall, and then 2 weeks later trans went. just got trans delivered and looking for amy shortcuts in changing, if there is any.

thanks

2. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

If I remember right there are 4 bolts down through the unit holding the transmission in place. Support the machine in front and remove the 4 rusted bolts. Remove the wheels first so you can slide the trans out sideways. Do they still cover the trans with that stupid plastic bag? Before you install the trans get somebody to spray some bed liner material on it to protect it. We gave that idea to PG 3 or 4 yrs ago, but they said it costs too much money. Selling replacment trans @ 800 a pop was a better deal for them. PS that Magnum trans is built for a lawn mower.

3. firedude26

from Mich

Hey thanks for the info, im gonna try and get it swapped this week, i dont know anyone that could spray that on but i will find something.

4. slammin

slammin LawnSite Member
    from CT

Try some Herculiner, you can roll it on yourself.

5. firedude26

from Mich

great thanks , i knew there was a product like that , now i know the name.

6. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

How did you know your trans was bad? Mine seems to be loosing some
    power wasn't sure if its the trans.:confused:

7. firedude26

from Mich

not to hard of a diagnosis for me, the right side locked up gradually. the seals swell and they say it costs more to try and repalce the parts than replace with new trans, it could of went the same time i had to change the motor it would of been easier im sure.

8. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

If you are able to take the trans apart the seal replacement is cheap. Maybe about 5 for each seal. The problem is the fert is so corrosive the trans is difficult to get apart. It will make the cases look like swiss cheese after a while. Replacing trans parts is way less expensive than trans replacement, but it is a bigger money maker and less hassle for PG to just ship you a new trans. They don't have to stock any trans parts. If I remember right John @ PG told me they sold 800 transmissions one year. We've had them apart, replaced the seals, cases, gears and the shifter detent. Sometimes the bolts twist right off in the case taking them apart. New case then. This is one reason why I don't recommend PG's any more. Poor design and the trans is out of a lawn mower. It cannot hold up to every day use.

9. firedude26

from Mich

well it took all of 5 mins to drop trans, if i had the new one covered in the spread on bed liner i could of had it together in another 10 mins. i am gonna tear old one apart it doesnt look to rotted. maybe i can save it and get someone a cheap replacement. should be ok for awhile for me i bought this used and i am not sure how well it was cared for before. with a new motor and now a new trans wooohoooo look out yards here we come. if it would ever quit snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!