Replacing Scag wb engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nuyz125, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nuyz125

nuyz125 LawnSite Member

hey guys, new to the site, I have a question for some of you out there though, I just picked up a used scag walk behind, and believe me, it is used, It needs a decent bit of cleaning up, as well as a new engine, it is a belt drive 48, but not all too old, and as dumb a description as it may be, for a reference as to age, it has the newer yellow type pto switch (push pull) anyways, which engines do you guys recommend, hp, brand, and also, how difficult is it to replace these engines? I am assuming fairly easy. Lastly, if anyone has used engines for any reason, I am very interested! Thanks alot.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

nuyz, I put a new 14 Kawasaki on my 48" Scag last year. The original kawi motor lasted 7 seasons, so I think it is a good motor :) I replaced it myself, I'm really not a great mechanic, but it wasn't bad. Hopefully I'll get another 7 years out of the machine

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The replacement is made easy if you replace with same brand and size of engine.

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly...What he said. Please post the size (48") oft the deck, and what engine is presently on it. We can then go from there.

5. nuyz125

nuyz125 LawnSite Member

its a 48 inch deck, and the engine that was originally on it was a kohler 14, but it seems like alot of guys prefer the kawasakis..is it too much of a hassle to change it, or should I just stick with the kohler, i have a snapper with a kohler that is pretty nice, so i have no problems with them...also, what size shaft are these engines? 1"? I have found several kohler 14's with 3" by 1" driveshaft with a full keyway, would this work? thanks

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

OK, either, or. Your choice. The shafts are the same. So are the bolt patterns. Is the clutch electric or manual. Electric should have at least a 4" long shaft, threaded in the middle. Electric start or pull start? Pull start is NO problem. Electric means a minor wire set-up. 30W oil in the Kawi, and 10-30Win the Kohler. NOW, go forth young man, and spend money. Let us know how you are doing.

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Whats wrong with the engine? If you cant go new then why not rebuild? Kohler parts are very easy to come by.

8. nuyz125

nuyz125 LawnSite Member

I bought the mower with the engine "not running" and in pretty crappy condition from what I have been able to see, I haven't been able to check it out yet to see if its completely destroyed yet, but how would I tell? I have pretty good experience replacing/rebuilding motocross bikes, but is a bottom end failure as catastrous (financially speaking) on this kohler as it is on a dirtbike? If so it seems like i'd be better off just buying a new one..either way i'll find out this weekend, im finishing up the school year right now..

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Nope, not at all, dirt bike engines are way more expensive. I just rebuilt a Kaw 12.5 about a month ago. Total price was about $200. Machine work costs very little for small engines. I paid around $60 to have the cylinder bored and the block hot tanked. That engine has new valves, springs, bearings, piston, rings, and gaskets. I don't think a crank would be more than $150. If you have the time it might be worth it to save a few bucks but if that time could be spent mowing then I would go with a new engine.

10. nuyz125

nuyz125 LawnSite Member

sounds good to me, I have seen those rebuild kits on ebay etc, so maybe thats the way to go. I am going to scope it out this weekend and let you guys know, by the way, it was an electric style pto switch. Thanks