Replacing spindle bearings: difficult?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wayne Offiler, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I have a 10 year old Skag 48 WB, use as back-up and for rough cutting. In bad need of new bearings, but I hate to spend several hundred dollars on having the bearings replaced. Maybe a good winter project. Is this a tricky job, or straightforward? Any special tools needed?
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it would probably be easier to replace the spindles:(
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how the Scag spindles are, but my encore's are nothing to change. You do need access to a press. The bearings are $15 or less each and there is 2 in each spindle. A press and snap ring pliers is all I've ever needed. After the spindles are off the machine it would take us less than 5 minutes to change bearings per spindle.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Uh, no. Guess you haven't priced spindles.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I always tapped my bearings out with an extra bolt sockets etc havnt replaced bearings in over 6 years since getting a dixie and exmark they seem to last much longer than my scag i used to have to grind a set of needle nose to get the snap ring out then start tapping around the edges untill it popped out usually took me about 2 hrs to replace 3 sets
  6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

other experiences with bearings led me to think this.,sorry i wasn't too accurate:)
  7. grasmo

grasmo LawnSite Member
    from fl

piece of cake.
  8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

J Thomas sells the complete spindle assemblies. The old style (aluminum housing) are $48 and the new style (cast iron housing) are $90. If you have the aluminum housings, it would cost $30 to do bearings, and $50 or so to get new assemblies. If you have the cast iron, you're probably better off with just bearings. And you can use a large bech vise if you have one to use as a press, or get a hand press from Northern or Harbor Freight for about $30.