Replacing Their Gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, Apr 2, 2003.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

In A Nutshell - gate too small, gave a price to replace w/5' gate. He excepted. I'll replace the gate and cut w/ 48".

2. GREEN DRAGON LM

GREEN DRAGON LM LawnSite Member

I've done this on a number of properties. Saves time and labor. If it doesn't cost to much go for it.

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also done this may cost a little up front but will make you alot more money in timed saved

4. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have also done this, and charged only for material. That was a "no brainer" for my customer, and ten years later I have saved a ton of time and money by not having to do their back yard with a 21" push mower.

If I ran into this situation again, and the customer didn't want to pay for the cost of material I would probably offer to do it "no charge" just for the future time savings.

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a wood fence, I have asked the customer if I can cut the fence where it goes into the posts, then hang it with metal plates. Just lift it off and mow, and rehang it when done.

6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Actually today, I was going to put a larger gate in for a new customer. Materials won't be more than $50 so I'll do it for free. Over the summer it'll probably save about 8 hours of labor. So it'll easily pay for itself.

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

So how will you protect your investment? Now that you've put in a big gate, ol' Bubba down the street can bring his big ol' rider in, and mow it for 12 dollars...
    I'm not telling you that you're wrong, just trying to figure it out for my customers.
    Crawdad

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not to worried about Bubba I'm more worried about butch and his wife betty sue :rolleyes:

9. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Based on suggestions on this site, I offered a free full month (full service monthly account) to a customer that had a 48" gate w/ a 3/4 acre back yard if he would reconfigure the 3 gates that he has into at least one double-wide gate to allow use of the 60" Turf Ranger. He did it! Or at least he is doing it now. May will be a free month. But this customer is a very faithful regular, one of my first customers. I take extra good care of him, extras and such. I definitely think that this will pay off. He even told me that he had wished for a wider gate in the past. Better for both sides.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having a little trouble understanding the benefit of giving away money just for a homeowner to put a gate on that is more beneficial to him, too. Now, I've had people request my services, and because of access, I've told them that if they can change their gate, I can take care of their properties; and they've done it, but I've NEVER paid for their gate or installation in doing this. Why pay money, just for an account. If the people want you, you should be able to just seel yourself, and let them know that a wide or double gate will better suit THEIR needs, as well.