Replacing transmission on Lesco/Scag walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How does one go about replacing the transmission on a belt drive walkbehind, specifically a Lesco. It's a peerless 700-022 and will be replaced with a 700-013 or 700-023.

2. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

It's very easy!! I replaced one on a bobcat 48 inch walk behind earlier in the year with basically the same peerless transmission. Only the bolt pattern is different on the bottom of the tranny casing.
    Only Two bolts on the underside of the transmission and remove the jackshafts coming out of the side of the transmission. This will expose the splines on each shaft. Slip in the new one, bolt it up from underneath, replace the jackshafts, slip the belts back on the pullys, and zoom!! Took about 45 minutes the first time, feeling my way as I went.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

How do you remove the jack shafts?

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

There should be a retainer bolted to to the frame near the pulley. Unbolt it. It will slide out.

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Will this cause the whole pulley to come off?

6. helodude

helodude LawnSite Member

The larger pulley (underneath) is held on by a snap-ring,once this is removed, then the four bolts. etc.
    What is your old transmission doing?

7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

My old transmission is not going into 4 gear. Only 4 gears to be had. Also, its the slow model. Could go max of 6 mph. Only going 3.4 now. I'm referring to the shafts on the right and left of transmission. How do you remove them?

8. helodude

helodude LawnSite Member

You are going to remove the side cover that protects the drive pulley(double belt pulley), pull the drive belt off. It's easier to push the machine forward and pull outward on the belt, it should roll-off. LH and RH shafts are held on by two bolts and nuts. On the inboard side of the pulley, should be 2 bolt heads next to the retainer, next to the shaft should be two nuts. Remove them and double pulley and shaft should come out like as assemble. You are going to upgrade to a 5-speed transmission. Depending on the year you may have to remove the shift cover. The covers slot does not allow full travel of the gear shifter. If you do this just count the gears from neutral. If you need a 5-speed transmission let me know, I know I have left from last year's rebuild.

9. helodude

helodude LawnSite Member

Forget to tell ya. Check the belt tension from engine to transmission, if this gets loose you'll loose ground speed and the ability to go up hill.