Replacing trimmer line

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clallen03, Mar 19, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl FS100 and Im having trouble with my trimmer line. First the line kept breaking off to short so I couldn't get it to feed right. I replaced the line with some thicker line but now I cant get it to feed at all. I dont know what Im dong wrong. I think I put it in wrong.:hammerhead:

Can some one give me a refresher on how to put in trimmer line? :confused:

I once was great at this so it very humbling to ask this question, so please be kind.

Thanks

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

When you spooled the line and inserted it back into your trimmer head did you pull the line back out of the notches that lock the line in place?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, first things first, did you put the line on the spool correctly? You should have put the line in the holes and spooled the opposite direction that they are cut.

Second, you should have inserted the spool into the head with the two notched sides under the feed holes. Insert the line into the feed holes, replace the cap and pull the line out.

Lastly, what size line do you have now? The stock 100 head will only accept <.110

4. clallen03

I have .95. Should I put the line in both the top and the bottom spool? Right now I have one going clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Is this right. When I pull the line out it tightens up around the spool were no more can come out. I dont understand it.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

they both go clockwise on my echos

6. clallen03

OK, I took another look and they both are going clockwise. My problem is when I pull the line it tightens up on he spool and it doesn't come out.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Then try counter clockwise.

8. clallen03

I dont think its the directions of the line. I think it has something to do with the line getting tight around the spool.

9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't get it figured out try taking it into your Stihl dealer. They probably won't laugh, (at least not at you) and I'm sure they can solve your problem.

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

One more question. Are you trying to get the line to come out by pulling on it or by bumping it? The line will pull tight around the spool. You need to bump it to feed it. If that is not it then I would say take it to your Stihl dealer like hosejockey2002 said. They should have no problem figuring it out. It is difficult trying to figure it out without actually seeing it.