1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing truck box

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keepoffthegrass, Jul 17, 2006.

1. keepoffthegrass

keepoffthegrass LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi i just smacked up my box on my 01 1500 hd gm. to repair it was going to cost me $4600.. it was pretty bad. I just bought a box on ebay 05 takeoff with tail gate and lights for $305.01 ... i can get 200 for just the tailgate anyday of the week.

So my question is. how easy is it to swap a box or should i bring it to one of my buddy body shops and let them do it. What is involved?

2. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

Usually you just have to pull a few body mount bolts, disconect wires for the lights and lift it up. They can stick pretty good andit may require a few guys or a lifting device (I think a skid would work...)

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget to disconnect your fuel tank filler neck before you start lifting, I removed mine all by myself with a couple concrete blocks at the rear and a com-along in a tree.

4. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

like everyone else said. with 4 guys its easy. this is the easy way to change fuel pumps too...easier than wrestling dropping a tank full of fuel.