Replacing wire mesh on ramp gate?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4curbappeal, Jan 26, 2007.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys know a ball park dollar amount on having the wire mesh replaced on a trailer ramp/gate? (6 1/2ft. x 4ft. approx.) I think I would rather pay someone to do it since I do not know how to weld, nor do I know a welder! I know of a place that repairs trailers, but would like to have a $ amount in mind before I call them on monday. Thanks!
  2. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I had a whole ramp made for an existing trailer for only about $200. Welder did it. You should be able to get it done for under $100 I would think.
  3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Dan!
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

For that price, I wish I'd had the whole thing replaced. Just a sheet of mesh was $100 + the cost of sawzall & grinder blades & the time to weld it all back on.
  5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Not in my area about $3-$400. I know crazy.
  6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a 4x8 sheet of mesh for my trailer. It was $52 tax included. I had one of my employees replace it, he's certified welder. $40 for his time.

Check around or if u know anybody that welds ask them.
  7. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

We have the same problem. The mesh where the tires run up and down has collapsed. I was thinking of welding in diamond plate (for traction) but I am concerned about the additional weight. Any thoughts.
  8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

the reason for the mesh is that it allows the wind to go through it, imagine a full sheet of plywood and trying to drive down the highway.
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Well if your expanded metal is still on the gate your going to pay alot for labor.
    Just for materials and labor to weld it on i would have to pay atleast $175. thats with prep work done by me.
    Now if they have to tear off old metal, grind down old weld and replace. I would guess $250
  10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Why not just put angle iron cross members where the wheel tracks are like this.