Replacing Wood on Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BRL, Mar 18, 2003.

1. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a little 5x9 trailer and its time to replace the wood planks. However, it seems that the planks were inserted into the slot of one end & then the other end slot was slipped over the wood and then welded together. Am I missing something here? I didn't think I should have to break a bunch of welds & then reweld to replace the wood. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. paulsoccodato

paulsoccodato LawnSite Member

BRL,

Last year, my buddy and me, changed the decking on his car trailer. The people who build these things are pretty stupid, because we did exactly what you said.

We had to grind welds & cut some of the steel, to get the planks out. After we changed the planks, it all had to be re-welded.

What a pain in the *****.

3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just did the same thing, Alot of the guys grind off, and reweld the piece on. What we did was to get in as many as you can (the first 4-5) by starting at an angle and then sliding them straight. Then what we did was to shorten the boards somewhat so there was two inches onder the front and about an inch overlap in the rear, we then but a large pry bar or scraps of wood under the board in the center, and bent the rear of the board down till it slid in, then just yank really fast and WAM it will snap into place.

Now my trailer is 16' so I would guess longer boards would bend more.

If you have a full 2" on the front and back you could just cut the board to fully fit onder one lip and slide into the other, then split the difference in play and fasten down with some deck screws.

hope this helps.

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

We did this a few years back on our 12ft trailer, and what we did is grind the front lip weld away so we could get the planks out, then we took the circular saw and cut all the planks down the middle to make them smaller and to get them out. I cant remember exactly which way we did it, but maybe we first tried to cut the planks to get them out but then realized to get the new planks in that we had to grind the front lip weld, so we ended up rewelding it back down once we screwed the deck down.
    Matt

5. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

After you get done replacing the boards don't re-weld it. Bolt a peice of flat bar to it. This way next time you don't have to grind the weld off.

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a Lowe's trailer.......design flaw, easier and quicker for the builder to do it this way. Do you really think he cared about you the end user when he built this trailer like this, nope....cared about the sale. GRIND THE WELDS TO REPLACE THE WOOD!:(

7. LeConte

LeConte LawnSite Member

I had a 16 foot Trailer and instead of replacing them with wood i looked into replacing the floor with stretch metal, for me buying 16 foot boards was expensive and there wasnt much price difference between metal and wood --just an idea

also i help a friend replace his floor and we cut the weld and just simply bolted the new boards down on that one end

Good luck
    A-1 lawncare

8. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced the wood in mine with 7 gauge steel plate.

in 1993..:D

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I had to do the same thing a few years back on a 5x8 I carried my aatv on.
    Get a grinding wheel for a circular saw if you don't have air tools.Grind the welds off except at one end.The flat metal will bend up and you can remove the boards.Then replace the boards(the new fabbed one's would be good.Like the one's used on decks) and lay the flat metal back down.Now drill holes though the flat piece of metal and through each board.Secure with the appropriate sized bolts,nuts,and lockwashers.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

That is why there is a diff in price of trailors. Look at some of the big name more costly trailors and you can replace the board by just unbolting them. You get what you pay for.