Replacment motor question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by farmboy1285, Feb 18, 2008.

1. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 48" encore WB with not motor and missing a few other things off ebay for $150. I want to put a motor on it and fix it up so I have a couple questions.

1.Any brands to stay away from
    2.V twin vs Single cylinder
    3.Electric or recoil, I figure if I ever wanted to make it electric start now would be the time
    4.Is there a universal bolt pattern or do I need a specific motor for my WB
    5.Rebuild vs new, I am pretty sure I sure I want a new motor but maybe rebuilds are better than I think
    6.Any place that sells good motors cheap I am trying to keep this project cheap because I don't really need this mower but I need something to fill out my time:dancing:.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I always say is becoming educated about things helps a lot, because I don't think that mower ever had a motor in it.

That's most likely because motors are electric, now engines are gas so that's likely what you're looking for.
    Motors are electric, engines run on fuel, so if it runs fuel then it ain't a motor.

I can recommend Kohler and Briggs & Stratton.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Kawasaki 15hp will fit like a glove. I would go with recoil. these engines start very easily this is a twin cylinder great motor.:waving:

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

People look at the size of the Kawi 15 twin and think you will have to do a big windup like pitching a fastball to start it. That little bitty one-handed pull it takes is quite a surprise. Much, much easier to pull than my 3.5hp walk behind edger. I have the FH451V which is pre-KAI I think, and it has been trouble free. I have no experience with the newer KAI models.

I have no idea what they cost however.

6. farmboy1285

Do you know where I can find that engine? Also any input on single cylinder vs v twin. I would prefer to go with a recoil but if I had to go with an ES it would not be the end of the world.

7. farmboy1285

Forgot to mention this before when/if I get this thing running I want to put a swivel style sulke like the lesco or bull rider sulkies. Will this effect what enigne I should buy?

8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

NOT CHEAP lol

You'll find a Briggs for a better price.

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Man Topy, where do you come up with this stuff?

As to the original post, I would also recommend a 15 Kawasaki, or a 15 Kohler command.
    The Kawi is the better engine, but it is also more $$$$. I might be worried about dumping too much money into a $150 Bunton, you can polish a turd all day long, but it won't shine like a diamond.
    If you are going to do this, I recommend going through Tulsa Engine Warehouse. I have used them and been very pleased every time. I tried using Small engine warehouse a few years back, it was a nightmare. They frequently try to sell old (like 20 yr old) engines and try to pass them off as new, my "new" 12.5 Kohler was a 21 yr old used Kohler with a broken governor, it came duct taped in a broken wonderbread box. Tulsa engines are shipped and packaged straight from the factory.
    Here is a link.
    http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/catalog/kawasaki/vertical/FH430V_S03.html

10. farmboy1285

I just did a search on the model number (48k200) and I think the mower came from the factory with a 14 HP Kawasaki on it. I will call my dealer tomorrow and try to find out for sure.

Lawntamer I know what you mean with the polishing a turd thing but I figure if worst comes to worst I can use the mower for parts on my other encore WB and sell the rest as scrap. Thats another reason why I want to keep this project cheap.