replanting shrubs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gibs, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

hwo do you guys go about replanting shrubs.. a older lady planted 8 shrubs and you can tell she didnt plant them deep enough and she wnats them replanted? do you just dig them up and plant them right back into the ground or do you keep them out for a few days while watering?

thanks for the help

2. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

What type of plants are you working with?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do not understand what you mean.

4. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

I really dont know... sorry guys... they are not big at all like 36" high maybe just tiny flower shrubs.... i just dont wnan kill them when i dig them up and replant them.. should i place more bone feed when i replant them in their new holes?

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

If they have only been planted for less than 1 season, dig 'em and replant at the proper depth immediately (they won't have very much outspread their previous shape from being in a container/pot). Water them in well. If you don't have information about whether they'ver been fertilized or not, find out before you add more. If they've been in the ground for a year or more, they should be dug, put in a bucket with water and a root stimulator/enhancer and saturated before replanting. Not rooting hormone, but something like Plant HealthCare products, or even MiracleGro - anything that'll give the severed roots a boost before replanting. Make sure the homeowner realizes that they will need more water for the next few weeks until the roots reestablish. It doesn't sound like they are large enough to require pruning before replanting.

If you knew what they were , we could be more specific about their cultural requirements.

6. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

thank you .. nice help... i think theyw ere planted last summer soo shouldn't be that big of a problem!! thanks again guys...