Reply to carb from on echo trimmer post

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tallimeca, Oct 6, 2006.

1. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

For some reason, i can't reply to that thread, but here's my response.

first off guys......Echo doesn't manufacture the carbs. They are made primarily by walbro and zama, which are the same carbs on redmax, stihl and every other piece of 2 stroke equipment out there. To say , we don't use echo because of their carb problems is a joke, hate to tell you.

To answer your question , from a dealer, yes, we have seen quite a few issues with carbs this year on the 25cc power heads. Srm260s, and Pas260's. We don't sell the srm260t, but same powerhead.

What we have found is that these rotarty valve carbs DO HAVE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS. The are hidden under a plasic cover on the back of the carb, recessed down in the body.

The big complaint we see is it bogs really bad when cold, and or it tends to bog and loose power when tipped a certain way.

You need a 3/32 drill bit. Use your hand and stick the bit down in the hole and catch the plug with the bit , and keep working till you catch it enough to pull it out.

Start the trimmer, let it run for about 30 seconds at wot. Turn the screw in till it leans out and starts to scream and run smooth, then fatten it up just a tad.

We have gone nuts this year with these issues, till we noticed the product comming in toward the end of the season, had the screws exposed, and there was no caps.

Again, not echo's problem, walbro's issue. Has been addressed. All the carb's we've adjusted solved the problem and never reoccured.

The epa and carb certification board wants us dealers to tell you you need a new carb, when they can be fixed. Tampering with these adjustment carries fines according to the manufacturer. Upwards of 25k per unit on your trailor......or in my shop in this case, that has had the adjustment screws tampered with. :confused:

2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

We have gone nuts this year with these issues, till we noticed the product comming in toward the end of the season, had the screws exposed, and there was no caps.
    Are you talking "new" product...from the manufacturer??

Again, not echo's problem, walbro's issue. Has been addressed. All the carb's we've adjusted solved the problem and never reoccured.
    Cool, thanks for the info...I have 2 spare carbs to toy with now!

The epa and carb certification board wants us dealers to tell you you need a new carb, when they can be fixed. Tampering with these adjustment carries fines according to the manufacturer. Upwards of 25k per unit on your trailor......or in my shop in this case, that has had the adjustment screws tampered with.
    Uh, yes carb police... the vibration must have caused those caps to fall out and let those screws turn....:rolleyes:

The part about the drill bit... are the screws located behind these caps?

I can't believe that I was lied to about this from a dealer... do some of the carbs have an aluminum cap that looks like it's been sealed??

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Some pics would really be great, if possible.

4. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i got my caps off with a pick, a small drill bit would work well too i think. Seems like BS if you can get fined for making a motor run correctly. Why else is the screw there if not to adjust the mixture???

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow.... What a great post! I just about want to just copy and paste this first post, just to have it on hand, and share it with a few friends (that work on these as well)...Thank you so much. :)

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Walbro has a small tool for removing some caps. I dunno if I have seen the caps you are talking about or not. I think the tool is mainly for the ones with "limiter caps"

I have seen a few carbs that have caps over adjustment screws that dont have a slot in them. Wow are those a PITA to do anything with. All they have is a splined outside that a cap goves over. Next time I see one of those it gets a new carb or toss to the junk pile.

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thanks much for the info.