Repointing

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Murphy's Law, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

Does anyone do brick repointing on a fairly large scale? You know, grind it out and point mortar back in the joints. I come across 1 or 2 projects a year that I'm asked to submit a proposal to repoint a brick building. The one I did at the beginning of the year last year I did not track production rates and I was profitable. The last one last year I was awarded the project but the funding fell through. I think I'm in the right ball park as far a pricing goes but I may be leaving money on the table. That's my concern.

Here's the question.

What are your production rates assuming it is 100% repoint of standard size brick and you are working on man lifts? Also, the guys are fairly skilled but not rocket scientists. We typically use 4 1/2" grinders and a thicker pointing diamond blade. We grind, rinse off brick, tuck mortar, acid wash if necessary, and seal if requested.

I'm looking for just the grinding and tucking production rates.

I do realize that some joints come out easier than others but if it's a full repoint, lets assume that they grind out easy.

I feel like we are pretty slow since it's not our expertise but I wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks.

2. Murphy's Law

from NH

Nobody? alldayrj? Do you do this type of work?

I'm putting together a proposal for a 100% repoint project right now. Not huge but it takes some time. Here's where I'm at.

Total job 1600 sq ft.
    Daily production rate per guy - 54 sq ft per day
    Includes grind, wash, point, tool

I feel this is pretty aggressive but that's why I'm asking the question.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Nah man i was hoping someone could help you. Ive always told ppl hourly on the larger jobs, didnt get any of those. On smaller stuff like stoops etc i can eyeball it but ive never done a building.

4. Murphy's Law

from NH

Yeah it's tough. I think most contractors just throw a huge number at the wall because there are so few guys that do it but what the heck do I know.

If you ever take on a job like that, it's much slower than you think.

I lost a job a couple years ago for a school the next town over and I'm glad I didn't get it. I kept my eye on it and those guys were there for a lot longer than I thought they should be there. It's a tricky trade. And that silica dust is nasty.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Yea the ppl who do it in NY are legit. Scaffold tarped in, dust collecting grinders and respirators. Thats all they do. I hate repair work anyway, its always a pandoras box