Reporting bad customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Sep 19, 2004.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any site or database where you can rate customers or put out notices to other contractors if they rip you off? I read about this is PRO magazine that some contractors actually check up on potential customers before actually doing a job. I have a few bad apples to report and I need some way to threaten for my money they owe my by saying they will get a very bad review somehow to warn other contractors about them.

This doesn't have to be for just landscapers, but for any type of laborer or contractor...

Know of any?

Thanks

2. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Just because they have treated you poorly, doesn't mean they treat every one that way. There are other ways to get the money they owe you, try small claims court. As far as a forum where you could list/report poorly paying customers, I think you might run into some legal problems such as slander/ libel laws. They could end up suing you for defamation of character and then you would owe them money. Even worse, since you are a minor, they could also go after your parents.

3. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

I like that idea......I suppose the list could be a list of people you'd rather not deal with (by not being specific the listed person can't sue for defamation of character.....they'd just be people contractors or service people would rather not deal with....of course a contractor looking at the list would know the real scoop......I'd love to see a site like that....would really help us not get undesirable customers....yes I cuppose some court docs search could be done but who has time for that?....that would be a pita.....a nice easy to use list of undesirable cuistomers would be great for me and I'm sure for others out there as well....

4. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

OOPs forgot to include this....BBB is a good source for people to see how businesses are but we have nothing similar to see if a customer is worthwhile or not,

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few customers I'd like to put on that list, if there ever is one. I always ask a few questions while I'm doing the estimate, just to get a feel for the person.

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We could start one here :blob3:

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am all for it. I got a list.

I can't wait to see how many Bobby would list. The reasons why for each would be entertaining.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby may need a web site of his own for that

9. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

How about it, Sean, Chuck? Would it be feasible to have a deadbeat list? The people we just couldn't get our money from, that we would like to warn other lco's about?

I would think any such list would have to be divided up regionally.

10. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

.......be careful here, we're talking defamation of character and slander. I don't think Sean and Chuck would want to go down that path, do you?