reporting illegal operations..... how?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by alexschultz1, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm tired of losing accounts to low balling guys with no business licence. A couple people have started to move into my "honey hole" spots and they need to GO. One guy Will cut any lawn for $30...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

3. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know why people worry so much about other companies. Worries about yours and how to improve it. If I worried about the illegal company or even the competition I'd go crazy
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. olajoe808

olajoe808 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5b

wouldn't worry bout those guys too much, you'll go nuts. How is it not the same every year; it is here. Some of the undergrounds are actually driving up prices :clapping: If those clients are worth your time, contract them.
  5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone tried to mow lawns in my area of northwest suburbs of Chicago for $30 per lawn, he would be out of business. I see flyers all the time for $20 or $22 per lawn (5-10 K sized). $250,000-$500,000 homes.
  6. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't bother me to much.. BUT, what does bother me is another lawn app outfit that mows on the side, and brags about doing it all under the table. Told me that he would cut that yard for half my price because he does it under the table. ORLY!?
  7. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Illinois does not require a license to mow though, does Chicago itself?
  8. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that every state requires a business license. Here in Washington you can mow with just a business license but doing anything like spreading bark or planting etc requires a additional contractors license
  9. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

A state representative stopped me one day while mowing. The road was narrow so I parked on a side street. Anyway he asked if I was licensed and I said yes and gave him my company name. He looked me up on his lap top and said have a good day as he drove away. I can only assume that some numb nut reported me as a non licensed operator. Didn't bother me but I do hope Karma visited the person that did the reporting.
  10. XYZLawnPros

XYZLawnPros LawnSite Senior Member

To the original poster:

Not sure what you think is "legal" or "illegal", but there is a difference. You have a choice. That choice is either ask permission from the state and the gov, or you can be competent in your own private affairs and bypass the greedy bastards thugs. The choice is yours. But don't take my word for it. Read, learn, predict, decide and execute.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.