Repower Bad Boy Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jstew33, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jstew33

jstew33 LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Bad boy with a 23hp Vanguard on it to mow my yard. I feel as though it's underpowered and would like to know if anyone has any good info on this or know who I could call. I've looked at the higher hp Bad boys and they all look like they are built on the same frame. I'm guessing that the two main issues I'd be dealing with are shaft size/length and bolt pattern. I would like to go with at least 27hp and 32hp would be great if possible. Also, does anyone know what is the best way to sell a small engine? This mower only has 120hrs.

Thanks for the help.
    Jerrod

2. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

sell your bad boy and get a toro or exmark... you won't have any power issues then.

3. thethrill

thethrill LawnSite Member
    Male, from North Arkansas

No way I would repower that new of a mower, sell and try again.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

what year model is it, and is it a Pup or a ZT?

5. tb8100

from TX

I don't care what brand you have, 23hp isn't enough for a 60" deck in some conditions. Get a 30hp 60" Pup for $7000 and don't look back.

6. thethrill

thethrill LawnSite Member
    Male, from North Arkansas

here you can get a lightning with 60" deck and 26 liquid cooled kawi motor for $7500-$7600 with suspension and all loaded out.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That's you best bet. I have been telling some if in doubt get more power, I learned the hard way. I've seen many post like this with buyers remorse about not having enough power. Many.

I've seen no post complaining about too much power.

8. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Finally, someone who relizes BB is not any better than the rest of the mowers out there. LOL!

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The bolt pattern on most engines over 19 HP is pretty much the same, even from brand to brand. Even if it's not it probably wouldn't be anything that a drill and a 7/16" bit couldn't fix. Your biggest challenges are electrical hookups, exhaust systems, air cleaner, shaft length and diameter (you mentioned this) and price. Most engines are built to a certain mower manufacturer's specs. Everything that I mentioned above can be spec'd out to the needs of the mower. Finding the right engine would probably be a case of going to Bad Boy to get it. Big engines usually start out at around $2,000.

You can sell your old engine on eBay for a few hundred bucks.

10. tb8100

from TX

where are you coming from with this statement? the point of this thread pertains to a 23hp engine not being powerful enough in his application for the 60" deck. It was not the start of another "Bad Boy is better/worse than xxxx brand" pissing match. :hammerhead: