REPOWER

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfguy, Dec 6, 2000.

1. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

HAS ANY BODY EVER REPLACED A 18 HP KOHLER ENGINE WITH A KAWI OR OTHER BRAND? MY 61 SCAG [SPARE] IS GETTING TIRED AND I NEED TO REPOWER IT EVERYTTHING ELSE IS IN GREAT SHAPE BELTS,TRANNY,TIRES JUST THE ENGINE IS BEAT....A NEW 61 WOULD RUN AROUND 6500 BUCKS...IT WAS A GOOD YEAR BUT NOT THAT GOOD.....ANY THOUGHTS?

2. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

What brand machine? What model? Let me know and I will figure something out.

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like everything is in good shape except your engine. So i would just replace it with the same brand the kohler. Sounds like it treated you ok, I reckon you could put Kaw, Robin ,ect if the hp stays around the same. Other wise i could see some electrical probs. You could get a new !9 kohler for around 1600, And have a nice unit for next season.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

In the past i have had good result with
    rebuilding engine.You might have to put
    oversize rings in but if your engine man
    is good ive seen that add 2-3 hp.Just a
    thought.TM

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Ed, at http://www.turfquip.com has a new Kohler magnum on his website for $695, that sure beats the heck out of $1600. The spec # is 58560, but if it doesn't match yours I'll bet you can make it work. The crankshaft is the main thing, and the next thing that could not be compatible would be the alternator. Does yours have a pto clutch? If so you need a machine with a 15 amp alternator. Hope this helps, Lynn

6. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

8. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Thanks, cantoo

9. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

THANKS EVERYBODY.....THIS LOOKS LIKE IT WILL DO THE TRICK... I AM LOOKING AT THE SAME ENGINE ...ABOUT 750 PLS TAK.....WHAT A SAVINGS

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn site to the rescue! What would you have done without all this good info?

Homer