1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Repowered JD LX176

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by goof008, Apr 29, 2008.

1. goof008

goof008 LawnSite Member
    from MI

Hi, kinda new here. I am putting a 17 hp Kaw. engine in my LX176. I bag my lawn and if it's at all wet, it plugs the chute often. Since I have more hp I was hoping to
    1. increase blade speed a little to help solve the chute clogging.
    2. get a little more speed out of the tractor.

For #1, since i have a electonic clutch, I'm guesing I can't mess with that easily, so would it be advisable to make the pulley on the deck a little smaller? I'm not talking about speeding it up a lot, just a little to try to help.

For #2, can I put a larger pulley on the crank to get it to speed up the trans axle, or is it governed in the trans axle? Since all the JD's seem to have the same 5.5 mph top speed, I'm guessing it's governed in the trans axle itself. I only want to go faster because I pull a cart a lot and I have to dump my clippings kinda far into the woods...not to cut any faster.

Any help would be great
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mess with any of that stuff.
    Just get extra-high-lift blades. Available right from Deere.
    Keep the throttle at full speed when cutting and only cut the top third of the blade of grass (1-1/2" maximum).

As an aside, homeowner units are not made to cut wet grass.
    All tractors (I don't care who makes it) will clog with wet grass.