repowering my dixie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenic Lawnscape, May 15, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

2. Scenic Lawnscape

does anybody know?

3. Jimmyed

Jimmyed LawnSite Member
    from IN

You would be happier with a command kohler rather than the briggs. They seem to lack in the power department from what ive seen.

4. Scenic Lawnscape

correct me if i am wrong but 22 horse power is 22 horse power correct? Im new to the whole engine swap/rebuild so excuse my ignorance, my main question is if this engine is going to work??

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

You can make anything work if you've got enough time and money. Personally, I'd stick with the Kohler command in the repowering issue. We know that they fit on a Chopper, because that's one of the oem engines. I think you'd be disappointed with all the hassles of trying to use a Briggs................Lynn

6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

20 HP is 20 HP only in numbers that the manufactor prints out.

A Kawasaki engine will put twice the power to the ground as a same sized briggs engine. Torque is what does the work and some engines just produce more torque than others. The briggs engine just can not prouce the torque of a Kohler.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure about how a Dixe is set up or what model that you are working on. But my Lazer has a shaft that sticks out of both ends of the engine. The blade clutch mounts to the rear one and the Hydro pump to the front..

If the Dixe uses this type of set up then that engine will not work.

I will say it again. I am ignorant as to a Dixes set up. I just wanted to make you aware of a possible problem before you order the engine.

7. Scenic Lawnscape

where is the best place to buy engines?

8. Scenic Lawnscape

CV22S-75544 22 HP Command series twin cylinder O.H.V. design -12 volt electric start - 15 amp alternator - has oil filter andfuel pump - 1-1/8" dia. x 4-5/16" crankshaft - f/t 7/16-20 no gas tank - no muffler will this one work? it would be replacing a 20hp kohler magnum off of a dixie chopper

9. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Those guys at smallenginewarehouse know what engines are interchangeable. Ask them.

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

get the most hp. available
    in the series engine you are gonna use