Reputable lowballer? I am not sure on this one.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

There is a co. in our area that services residentials (we no longer do residentials, partly due to this reason) and they charge roughly $11.66 a cut. :dizzy:

This co. has been in biz for quite some time. They all drive beat up trucks, they don't have trailers and they use 21" mowers exclusively. I have tried to talk to one or two of the guys in my area that work for this co. but they appeared angry or too busy to talk.

$39 aeration and $39 per hour for fall clean ups.

$11.66 a cut? Even working off shear volume, how is money made? I know the guys are beat at the end of the day cuz they use ramps to load and unload....I dunno.
  2. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

not onl the profit numbers, what te heck could they possibly be paying their employees?! It certainly isn't efficient using push mowers, no matter how many crew members you have in one gang:hammerhead: :confused:
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Those prices are really low and if they are canadian $ then that is even worse...
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It helps to read the fine print...

Under Core aeration: $49.95 without purchase of program or cutting.
    And all the grass cuts it says "payments as LOW as...whatever"

Spring / Fall cleanup FROM 39.96 per hour...

Yeah well I can do $40 / hour work, too, so long I get to use my br-420 backpack blower that puts out 500 cfm's at 175mph... Or I could use the br-600 that puts out 700cfm's at 200mph for $60 per hour, which do you think is going to be cheaper, and would they rather let me do the math or do they want to be a funny customer?

Because I get that crap too, sometimes a customer thinks they're going to be smart with me and get something for nothing, but maybe they do it wrong and I don't see it and next thing I know come time to get paid they stand there like a look of someone who just got egg on their face.
    But I don't like it, the customer isn't happy, most pay but it's not cool.

So personally I wouldn't be driving gimmick-based advertising, if for the only fact that it can be missleading and I think this in turn could attract a lower quality customer, but it's up to each company to do what they think is best for them... Then the name 'affordable' likely attracts a cheap customer, and this might've got you excited and perhaps it might explain why they're moody, but a lot of times some stranger approaches me and I'm not exactly friendly either, mostly because I suspect at least half of all strangers have something up their sleeve for me.

As for the trucks they drive, I put performance over looks anyday, but I know some Lco's it's just how they do things, I personally don't care for beatup stuff but I have a couple of pieces that run sooo good and look all ragged, again I think it's kinda to each their own...
  5. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

wow, these guys must make alot from their extras, or no lawn out there gets the "as low as" price. I have not seen them in Scarborough yet, but I am not trying to grow with the residential side of things, so it shouldn't effect me.
    Stay away from Townhouses!

6. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Topsites, first off I agree with the appearance issue. If it works...great. I was stating the appearance for visual purposes. They wear uniforms and I can ASSURE you that most get the FROM price. I signed 4 of their customers on last year that were unimpressed with their work. At the time when we were doing residentials, we charged OUR price and the customer paid it. Most if not all of their customers just want the cheapest price. They have the cheapest price on EVERYTHING.

I service Toronto, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket and as of the winter Markham. I can tell you that we get top dollar for our work. You never know how long its gonna last so you better get the most now.

Even if they charge $15 per lawn per week, you would need to cut 100 lawns to make $6000 per month GROSS :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: After gas for the 100 lawns, insurance, upkeep and maintenance, they would be lucky to see $3500. For 100 lawns, I d rather stay in bed.

The way we are set up this year, we cut 33 lawns for that same $6000.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The workers don't want to interact hey? Hell if I were that desperate for work I'd be angry too and the ones who aren't angry are probably too dumb to talk.
    Great pricing, it almost wants to make you subcontract them and sit on your tail.
    I don't know what to say but I do know that 21's are only good for so much sq footage per day.
  8. Liquidfast

from Ontario

When this co. first sprang up, everyone that I know thought it was a one man show. Well it turns out they are 15 trucks strong and it I am not mistaken, it's not a franchise. If u put all of their trucks together, you could probably get a $15000 discount on a ford f 150. Their work (IMO) is not that bad.