Lawn Care Forum banner

What do you think of the reputation point system?

• Think it’s a great idea

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Think it’s a great idea

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Wished it were scrapped

Votes: 32 41.0%

Reputation Points

6K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  Turf Medic 
#1 ·
Can't seem to edit the second poll choice.
It should read "Like it"

#3 ·
Though I haven't been over on AS for a couple of weeks to know whether there is new software there yet, you could rate individual *threads* on AS, based on a 0-5 star system. This was shown in the thread list... Obviously, not all threads were rated, most weren't. But the really informative ones were. And it took more than one vote to show what the rating was too, which is better than the way individuals are rated here....

I like the idea of rating threads much more than rating individuals. If I'm even at all curious what someone's rating is, I have to hover the cursor over the green box to find out... Then I have to remember what each saying is, whether it's plus or minus.... Not worth it to me.

Rate the threads, not the people.

Dan

#4 ·
I just tryed to give mac and geogunn some points it wont let me ..thats stupid it says spread the love around...I gave a lot of people points how many you got to give out before you can give some to somebody you gave some to already.

Mac has made some good threads and i cant give him no points for them ..that sucks .

#9 ·
Read the thread started by me called "Stop limiting my Goodie Points". It addresses this exact problem.

I think D Felix has a Superb idea. Lets rate the thread, not the people.
Here, ill start it, i give a 5 (SUPER RATING) to the Calander Girls thread in the off topic forums. ;)

#10 ·
You know, I was thinking about this, and rating the thread versus the person would be better. However... and I bet we all know this, is that there will always be some people who will "ding" the threads of those who they don't like, while others they will always give points to... regardless of the thread content.

Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world made up of perfect people, and I for one would probably have a tough time giving high marks to the threads of certain individuals.

#11 ·
Critical Care:
But if you rate the thread then it doesnt matter who wrote it. For example, if i started a thread and you despised me, but you learned from the thread, then give it good rating. Either way it wont affect me personally at all.

#12 ·
I hear you, Acute Cut, however doesn't it make sense that if someone dislikes you then it's going to be hard for that person to remain unbiased towards what you post? It's kind of like the diehard republicans and democrats who say "I've alway's voted along the party line, and I always will." Some people are just deadset in their ways regardless of "content matter."

#13 ·
From what I've seen over on AS, even if someone who starts the thread isn't generally well liked, if there is a LOT of good info in the thread (and people take the time to vote), the thread will be rated.

I've never bothered to try to find out how the rating is done there. I know that a rating doesn't show up most times if I vote for a certain rating on a certain thread. So I suppose several people have to vote, then the vote is averaged. PL would probably know more about it, and I doubt it would be hard for Sean(LS) to ask Darrin(AS) if PL doesn't know.

Most threads on AS are NOT rated. Only the really good ones are usually rated.

Case in point to your "biased-ness" worries:
Say I start a thread, post the original message stating that "Fabric is necessary under ALL mulches" (BTW, I never would actually say this). As many know (all SHOULD), that statement is widely accepted as UNTRUE. So, lets say 10 other people correct me on this. You don't like me, but the content is good, past my original post. I would imagine that you would still vote for a certain rating if you felt the need to vote.

Oh, one more thing. The thread ratings on AS are only positive ratings. AFAIK, there are NO negative ratings possible....

Dan

#14 ·
GreenMonster said:
I pay almost no attention to it.

For the most part, I know who to look for (and who to ignore) when I need advice.

edit: sorry, neutral.
I agree with GreenMonster on this one. It doesn’t take very long to figure out who is giving knowledgeable information and who has a biased opinion that just want to raise their post counts. I personally don’t pay any attention to the who’s-who because I don’t care what their reputation is. I can figure that out myself!

#16 ·
proenterprises said:
i have had 2 negative feedbacks in the last 2 days, for the simple reason that I am a teenager. This is out of control! :angry:
Don't worry Sean is going to get rid of the reputation points program on Monday, he said so in this post dated 10-07-04 and I haven't noticed a retraction by him.

Sean Adams said:
20 pages of replies and thousands of viewings of this thread...wow

I am going to get rid of the rating system on Monday. I have read enough and did not think it would create such a whirlwind of controversy. Unless there is an overwhelming response to keep the feature, it should be gone by the beginning of the week.

#20 ·
I think the points are pointless. If you start thread and you don't like what others are telling you then ignore the advice. However, If you like the advice then take it into consideration. Just because someone has a good reputation doesn't mean that they have good advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.