Request for Smartline users

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, May 22, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Request for Smartline users:

I have one with a broken case. Either the maintenance gardener or an HOA landscape committee person or somebody tried to get into the box of a SL1600 with the wrong key and forced it.

The box being just plastic broke out the thin piece where the latch holds.

I wrote Weathermatic about a replacement case. Their reply was that they don't sell the case separately.

They suggested I check with one of my distributors to see it one is maybe being returned under warranty and get that one...

So, anyone have a spare case? Anyone have a suggestion how to repair this one?

My two suggestions for improving the SL:

1. Make it so opening the panel doesn't disconnect the AC. (Or have an optional jumper ribbon.)

2. Put it in a steel box, maybe even stainless.

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not a weathermatic user. I had one house that had one and i spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out why i had no power at it before i realized the problem.

we're mostly hunter and rainbird here, and the 30 or so other oddball controllers one sees in the field

pg

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm thinking the reason why it doesnt have a ribbon cable to the face plate is it's up and coming ability to have a remote plugged into the back of the faceplate to be used while portable and in the field. There is a battery that keeps the faceplate on when it's not A/C plugged, so you should be ok.

Secondly, just bill the customer for a new controller if they messed it up. The newer versoins of SL's have some cooler features, (SL delay), and retaining ALL of the programming when A/C and battery are dead. It has an inline fuse as well.

4. WRONG It doesn't have a ribbon because the dysfunctional WM development team was so arrogant to believe there was no reason to open a WM timer. Everything you needed to know or to find the valve was in the ADVANCE FUNCTIONS. Same dysfunctional team that gave us HIFI connectors in the SL 1600. Don't delude yourself John. WM has its high moments but it is basically a very dysfunctional company.

5. EagleLandscape

Get stung by a whole hive of wasps or something today?

6. No I'm just so friggin frustrated with those stupid speaker wire modules. we hook a pigtail on every new timer install and it is a real pain with the SL. When we were using the RB Mod the pigtail hookup was a breeze. Plus I sent Mike R an e-mail asking him about LRs issue on the SL just running on its own initiative which has gone unresponded to. Having said that the SL eats 9volt batteries really fast and I suspect it is due to the backlight display. I wish RB would buy the SL technology from WM so I can be all RB again. They need to do two things with that timer. Make it so it has 120 power when the panel is open and use screw terminals instead of HIFI connectors. Another nice feature would be to set the sensor delay the same way the SLW delay works. I have one situation in which we combined an Irritrol wireless sensor with the SLW. Shuts it down after rain but allows it to come on too soon. I usually set SLW delays at 72 hours.

irr8r. WM has a no questions asked return policy. Just return the timer and get a new one. It will also get you upgraded to the new features and latest firmware. I had a squirrel demolish a SLW and we exchanged it under warranty.

7. EagleLandscape

That's a great idea, leave the customer service the RainBird :-\

My dad called them the other day to get some information on a clock that was needed for a project, and talked to several people for over an hour, got nowhere.

Rainbird does not care about customer service for all I know.

Weathermatic will bend over backwards to make a contractor happy, and you know that. For crying outloud its Spring-time, early summer. We're all working 80 hour weeks. It's been taking me sometimes a whole week to get back with a customer.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I had a new customer call today. said she had a stuck valve, called the manufacturer (Rainbird), and guess who they referred? Me. me. me. Me. And once again, Me. Even though I am not a "Preferred Contractor". Or "Select Contractor" or whatever.

9. EagleLandscape

pffff, i get that all the time.

that is not customer service though.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

RB is not a publicly owned company and the owner is kinda a ******.