1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Request opinion on books

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I am planning to add "Fundamentals of Turfgrass Management" by Nick Christains and "Management of Turfgrass Diseases" by Joseph Vargas to my rather in-extensive library. I would appreciate any opinions about the book. They sell for $60.00 and $130.00 respectively.
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry - I haven't read those two books. But I do know that the book TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT by A.J Turgeon is one of the most used text books for college courses teaching turf classes. I have the book and have read and studied it. Very boring. But very informative and detailed. I highly recommend it for people wanting to REALLY study turfgrass in detail.
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I have fundamentals of Turf grass, Its a good book, about 300 pages. Ive read most of it.
    Im now reading and studying the materail for the Certified Turf Grass certificate program from The University of Georgia and the PLCAA. It propally has 10 times the info. Its a 2" binder full of info. And would only cost you a little more than what those 2 books would. I think you can buy just the material if you dont want the certificate.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

both good books. Vargas teaches at Michigan State University. his book is used as a text book. Check Amazon, you may get them cheaper.
  6. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

I just completed a book that should appeal to novice and professionals
    turfgrass installation managment and maintenance.
    by Rodney Johns

I would highly recommend the Vargus, Turgeon, and of course Beard for any library.