Request Small ZTR Recommendation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by randy badeaux, Apr 18, 2007.

1. randy badeaux

randy badeaux LawnSite Member

seeking recommendations from experienced lawn care pros.

i'm currently maintaining 3 connected parcels of residential lots at .5 acre per lot. All 3 front yards flow together, rears are separated by wooden fencing. lawns are landscaped, manicured and of centipede grass (zone 8).

here's my situation, as our summers get along upward to 100+ heat index i find myself spending all of a saturday and getting pretty whipped at the completion of final power blowing task.

currently, i'm using a 10 yr old toro personal pace 21" 6.5hp ohv w/alum deck w/sharpe blade. still starts on first crank. produces beautiful finish cut.

exp pros, HERE'S my question.....i'm ready to upgrade to a ZTR, looking at 36"/42"w decks, 15/19hp, hustler mini fasttrak, gravely mini zt1534 & zt1840, toro zx440 (18/44"), xmark phazer (19/34"). j deere z225 (18.5/42").

any recommendations, i welcome your feedback (+/-), THANKS, randy

ps-can i expect the same finish cut from a small ZTR?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I'm sure any one of those will suit your needs. IMO, it comes down to price and dealer support, which dealer is willing to work with you before, during, and after the sale. Which dealer will treat you good. I might look into a compact rider around a 48-56" deck, my reasoning- bigger motor. I just find it hard to belive a 15-19hp engine would be big enough to run any type of rider and if and when you get into taller wet grass it will not perform like a next step up in mower's. Just my .02 cents.

3. Distorted

Distorted LawnSite Platinum Member

Unless you have specific problems with some tight areas, I would get the biggest deck you can afford that will fit through the gates on the properties.

4. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

Not sure about the other mowers...but the JD 225 if used to mow commercially will only have a 90 day warrenty!! As for the HP, I have the 19HP Kaw on a JD 717, no problems with tall or wet grass. Please keep the warrenty in mind before you purchase equip!!

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

On the Toro zx440, is that a timecutter mower? If so, you will want to steer clear of it. Those mowers do not hold up well to commercial use and as stated before, the warranty is not good either.

6. mcduff48

mcduff48 LawnSite Member

Randy, take a peek at Toro's new Z-300 commercial series. 34" and 40" heavy duty ZTM's that will do the quality job you want. I am a Toro dealer in MD and am impressed with these new units. They are right....time-cutters won't hold up under your conditions. They are made to cut a few hours a week and give Mr. Home owner the feeling that they own what the "big boys" ride. Good luck! :usflag:

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Randy, Take a look at the eXmark Phazer 19/34, I own that same machine and that little 19 kawi has more than enough power.

Rob

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely 34Z end of story.

9. Monster Zero

Monster Zero LawnSite Member

Please keep us posted.

10. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with a Hustler Mini-Z. You can get 36",44" or 52". It has a full 2 year warranty and built very tough.