Request your help with contract bid.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

I am requested to bid on a soccer field contract. The entire field is approx. 3-3 1/2 acres. Within this field is the actual soccer field which will be mowed at a different heighth than the surrounding field. There are 4 goal posts, 1 shed and 1 sand pit to mow around. Entire field is new but has been leveled, and has one years growth of grass on it. They are not looking to have me fertilize or weed the field, just mow it. It will be mowed a minimum of 1 time each week, sometimes twice a week, depending on their practice schedule.

What is the best way to calculate how much I should charge for each mowing? I have an idea in my head, but I want your guys opinion on this. If I get this contract, it would be my first commercial contract. All opinions are appreciated.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Go By How much YOU want To make on The Job. Thats how i do it.:headphones:

3. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't knowthe price of what to charge exactly, but tell us about the facility...high school field, kid field??? what is the area like, higher end or lower end??? Higher end you will want to mow 2X week...lower end area, not so much and not as much trimming...I know from playing I hated, HATED, playing in longer grass on a field that was not mowed correctly. Will you be aerating and whatnot???

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How many hours will it take you??
    How much do you charge per hour for your work?? (rate)
    Rate x time = what you should charge,

Hope this helps

5. Novaowner

The field was used originally as farmland and then it was leveled and seeded this past spring. So it is really new, but has no rocks, holes or uneven spots. It was leveled very well in my opinion. I'm sure they'll eventually ask me to aerate, etc. in the future, but for now just a mowing quote.

PM I am thinking $60 an hour and I think I can do it within 2 hours.

Thanks guys.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What size mower are you using?

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Sounds like a walk behind...

8. Novaowner

Yep, it's a 20" 3.5 horsepower briggs and stratton pushmower, I paid $99.00 for it.

Seriously, I got a 06 Kubota ZG23 ZTR 54" cut. Right now I got regular blades on it, but I am putting a mulching kit on it. I have a bagger kit for it, if needed.

Will this do a good enough job on the field? Let me know, and any tips on how to mow the field is appreciated, that is if I win the bid.

9. Novaowner

I added my equipment so all of you can see what I have so far. I want to get an edger next.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Back and forth should do it!!:laugh:

JK, about the mulch kit and the bagger kit. You need to decide which way you will go because once you install the mulch kit the bagger will not work.
    Is there a reason you need to bag.