1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Requesting advice for engine choice on rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, Apr 20, 2005.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

:help: I am looking to buy a 48" Tiger cub or 48" Exmark Hp model. Considering the 19 Kawasaki engine. The mower will also have a spindle driven rear catching system. Is the 19 Kawasaki able to power the machine and catcher. One dealer says that it can. The tourque on the 19 Kawasaki looks high on the comparison graphs that are out there. Cost is a concern, yet I do not want to make a poor investment. Please advise if you have had experiences with the 19 Kawasaki and the catcher system.
  2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I run all kawa engines on mowers. Lighter equipment - honda
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

With 48", that should be plenty of power. I prefer Kawasaki engines.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Personally I don't think a 19 horse motor running a spindle driven vac system is enough..........23 horse motors on 52" Exmark HP's aren't enough for me in spring growth even without a vac system to drive............

Can you get by with a 19 horse? Sure.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few Toro's with the DFS vac stsyem, running all 19 Kawa engines, I have never had trouble yet being under powered.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Always get the biggest motor. You always can used more power.
  7. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I have the 19/48 tiger cub and while cutting the thick spring growth uphills puts a bit of a strain on the mower. I would think the added weight alone of a half full bagger would be too much, let alone the amount of power it takes to run the vac. The cub is a great mower!! But if you plan on bagging I strongly suggest a larger motor!!