requesting help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jbbarnett, Jul 16, 2009.

1. jbbarnett

jbbarnett LawnSite Member

I would appreciate any advice you guys have to offer. First, I understand this is a professional lighting forum, I understand and appreciate the collaboration, support, and constructive criticism you guys give each other. However, I find myself, for the most part a diy'er, needing some advice so I thought I would turn to you guys for any suggestions, tips, and advice you can give. I have a ewings about an hour from my home and I assume that would be a great place to purchase the equipment, is that correct? I am interested in a fairly small scale lighting system, but enough to accentuate the home, property, and provide increased safety. I will attempt to provide pics. Also, I have just had the landscaping, sidewalk and an irrigation system installed , this is why I have trench lines throughout the yard and turning to you. At this time, I just can't have it professionally done. Also, the lawn was stressed and doesnt look the best, but is improving. Any design or install advice is greatly appreciated.

101_0398.jpg

101_0400.jpg

101_0399.jpg

101_0403.jpg

101_0404.jpg

2. jbbarnett

here are some additional pics. thanks for any assistance you can give me.

101_0405.jpg

101_0408.jpg

101_0409.jpg

101_0410.jpg

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Thoes boulders are incredible. What I would suggest in that area is most likley beyond the scope of a DIY in that I would do a multiple layered effect and show thoes off with some downlighting.

On the house it is all up to you on your tastes and desires. I would start by looking back thru some of the photo threads and see what kind of effects your after. I would probably do a basic washing of the home and keep it pretty subtle. Downlight 30 ft or more up in the tree at the entrance to the walk and a downlight in the peak above the garage. I would probably also add some other tree lights elsewhere as well depending on the hieght and location of them.

I am going to be passing thru north bama tmrw on our way to TN

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Those mature trees near the driveway and around the back are perfect for tree mounted downlighting (moonlighting) but I would not recommend this for a DIY'er to attempt. You will need to get above 30' to make it look good and that is just not safe unless you have the proper tools, equipment, training and experience.

For the house, what Billy said... :)

Best of luck

5. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Give me a call JB, I'll tell you what to do.

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Look who else is lurking around.. Are you staying out of trouble?

7. jbbarnett

hey guys, thanks for the responses. I have looked at several threads with pics and am in awe of what lighting can do to a property. I will continue to browse the forum as well as other websites and searches. The boulders are one of my favorite parts of the property. I still have more landscaping and ideas for that area to increase its appeal and enjoyment. Do you guys think it would be feasible to do most of the ground level lighting and have a pro do the downlighthing? I may be able to have access to a boom truck if that makes a difference. I have sent a lot of work to a guy who has one and we have become friends. I could probably rent his under his supervision. Once agina thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming.

Chris I sent you a pm.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

You are probably no more than 3 or 4 hours from us. I would be happy to do your downlighting for you if you have problems finding someone you can trust in your area. Feel free to contact me thru my website should you be interested.

Thanks

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I too would accent the boulders. accent on the porch columns uplight, and have a gutter guy move that gutter drop off the front and onto the side of the column. soft wall washers on siding, mr-16 20 watt 60's on stone, well lights up on a few of the better branched trees.

10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, very cool boulders! They look like a coiled up dragon sleeping under your trees out there or 4 of the sand worms from the movie Dune,....but I digress. A layered scene is definitely in order there as Billy stated. I would downlight from the trees also making the boulders the focal point and the objects with the highest illumination levels. When doing this, many of the front trees will have their trunks silhouetted against the stone. I would back light and cross light some of the trees by the rocks there using some uplighting to further contrast the trunks of some of the larger trees with the dark background of the surrounding woods at night also. The uplighting will help illuminate the upper canopies also and give you a feeling of space when you are among them. This would be a primary gathering area if it were my place. I would probably ditch the burn barrel though in exchange for a more traditional fire pit-:laugh: