1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Requests from customers for gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mykee, Jul 27, 2000.

1. mykee

mykee LawnSite Member

Is there anyone out there who have had requests from grass customers for gutter cleaning? If so how do you charge for this service. I've had several requests but these gutters would be a gardening experience as they have small trees growing out of them. I figure a 16 foot extension ladder and a power sprayer could be a decent investment if you could do a spring and fall cleaning. Any input would be appreciated
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you want to be a yard ape climbing around on somebodys roof when theres plenty of $$$ to be had down on terra firma.<p>Have you done a search? This has been rehashed before. Better check that your insurance will cover you if you do work like this, otherwise you might find yourself doing the Christopher Reeves impression on a streetcorner with a tin cup lashed to your chair.<p>To answer your question, the going rate around here (from the transients who are the only ones willing to do this work) is a buck per linear foot of gutter with a 75 minimum.<p>Bill<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: thelawnguy
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mykee--good topic. you should need a 24 foot ladder and something that is several feet long like a gardening trowel that will fit in the gutter so you can rake the crap towards you. the best way to clean them is the manual way, by hand. use several trash bags and when they get heavy just drop 'em on the lawn. cleanup time...aproximately one minute!<p>bill--thanks to people like you I've made a bunch of money cleaning gutters. and it's all gravey! any house where I live can be done in 20 minutes oe less and I usually ask only about 40 bucks. it seems everytime I do a gutterjob the owner, which oftentime is a little old lady, calls all her friends because she's got someone there doing the work. heck! I've done 6 or 7 houses in a row in 2 hours. that aint bad money!<p>now excuse me while while I get out the fiddle and play some tunes from the old country so that my wife and children can dance around the campfire.:(<p>GEO
  4. mykee

mykee LawnSite Member

not too bad 2 replies in a few hours one con and one pro. I am a new member so would appreciate hearing more. I started my lawn care business with a partner back just this March. He wanted out and I bought out his half just last week. I am trying to expand a bit and thought about gutters because customers are asking NOW the first response from Bill sounds like he could be my ex partner!!! If he wasen't on the riding mower or maybe using the blower to clear the walk and drive he diden't really care for the business. We really missed spring clean up season and he wanted to get out before leaves fall and he might find himself loading leaves on the trailer. As for the reply from Geogunn thanks for the help but let me ask are you using a pressure washer or maybe the customer water supply and a garden hose???? thanks again
  5. geogunn

from TN

mykee--for gutters that are really full and haven't been cleaned in a while, the leaves set up into a clump that kind of breaks up when you dig'em out. this would be by hand and with the aid of something like a garden trowel to extend your reach. this leaves very little else in the bottom of the gutter.<p>sometimes I'll spray the garden hose into the gutter and that washes the very last of the leaves to the spout end if they have a strainer in the downspout or down the downspout if they don't. no need for a pressure washer.<p>otherwise, if the gutter is pretty clean, I just let the next rain wash down the last few leaves.<p>cleaning gutters is manual work. it moves quickly however and the money is good, in my opinion.<p>when I started mowing and didn't have all the grass I needed, the gutters ammounted to a couple of hundred bucks a week (on the busy weeks). there have been several times when I've cleaned the gutters and then been asked for a bid on the lawn.<p>good luck.<p>GEO
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I almost bought the last ride on a cedar roof 40 ft off the ground a few years ago. Right then I decided if I ever do gutters again its on my terms - 1 story house, composite roof, 4-12 , 6-12 pitch. I use a backpack blower and I am on and off in 10 for 40 bucks. I leave the tough ones for the guys that want to do it. Good Luck.
  7. geogunn

from TN

mow ed, you are right. hard roofs are more, tough roofs are much more, potential hurt me roofs are not at all.<p>GEO
  8. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i recently stopped advertising for gutter cleaning with my other services because too many people were calling just for that service, i have been telling them unless they have some other work to go with it i won't do it. we charged at least $40, done them for up to 175 for gutters with screwed down guards(pain). i will do just gutters for my regular customers and people i've done before because i don't have to waste a trip estimating a$40 job.we use a blower too, either blow the trash on the ground off to the side or rake it up, goes pretty fast for most jobs. There are a couple very large companies around here that specialize in cleaning along with repairs and installations.i have no idea what they charge but must be pretty high.
  9. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I do gutter cleaning for most of my customers on a reg. basis, usually at least 4 times a year.<br>it is very easy,I just get on the roof and blow them out, if they are full, then I will clean them out with my hands and then blow them. I usually charge $15.00 if I am onsite and it is a customer I normally work for. A callin request is $25.00 min,depending on size, roof pitch etc.
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have done some gutter cleaning but not alot. In my experiences i can make a good $40 in 10 or 20 minutes. Just use your backpack blower put on an extra hose lenght so you can stick it down into the gutter. what falls out you leave lay if it falls on the deck or front porch i will blow that off also. FOr those w/ a gutter guard i charge to remove and reinstal although all that is needed is pulling the end up a little so the debri can slip out.