1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Required PPE

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AutumnGreen, Mar 17, 2014.

1. AutumnGreen

AutumnGreen LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you all require your guys to wear as far as PPE. We have an account that requires hard hat, glasses, gloves, steel toes, vests. My thoughts are that everyone be required to wear the same so that if/when one of the other crew has to go on that job, they are used to it. The guys think that's stupid to require a hard hat unless the customer insists. Thoughts?
  2. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Provide the PPE in all your trucks. Make a note on your route sheets that say what to put on.
  3. we got one like that and that is the only one that we wear all that on.
  4. WenzelOSLLC

And to answee your question as to what to wear, safety toe boots and safety glasses are company policy. Vests when working near busy roads (that's actually the law) and hi-viz jackets in the winter. If customer needs something more than that gets added on.
  5. AutumnGreen

Safety glasses and steel toes are mandatory on all. Thanks for the answers. I've worked in construction for a lot of years but this is my first year in landscape, a lot the same but so much different!
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I just drove by a commercial job site for the city. Workers were wearing hardhats but the backhoe operator was using a hammer with no protective glasses. Both workers were within 7-8' of the hammer as it was chipping limestone. No safety glasses and none had hearing protection. I watched for a minute to be sure.

I'm sure the general provides that equipment. The culture here, though, doesn't promote safety in the least.

As for my guys, when I have them, eye protection, hearing protection, and head protection in demolition sites even if it's a small job.

anyone around my stump grinder or mulcher has to wear eye protection. If it's an employee, hearing protection, too. My subcontractor won't wear hearing protection because he already has hearing aids. I taught him to wear eye protection. Not sure how he made it this long without losing an eye.
  7. WenzelOSLLC

I forgot hearing protection; good note on yellowdogs part. I'm already deaf enough so I make sure I wear that too. Most of the guys want to wear headphones/radio headsets anyways.

Personally I don't think earbud headphones do any good; have to turn up the volume too much which sorta cancels out what its there for. Lol
  8. AutumnGreen

Thanks guys, and yes we do hearing protection also. Most of my guys are on board and ok with PPE but ya always have that one or two that fights it!
  9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

For the one or Two that fight known company policy make it simple on them and explain their choices. Wear the PPE your required to as part of your employment with this company or find some where else to work. No negotiation, or exceptions.
    easy-lift guy
  10. ROS_Grounds

ROS_Grounds LawnSite Member

This is probably the only way to go about it!